Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ProgrammerMP <mp...@ontargettechnology.com> on 2008/01/10 19:06:36 UTC

[users@httpd] Installing Apache as a Service When port 80 is already used.

I've downloaded the apache version 2.0.  When I run,
apache_2.0.61-win32-x86-openssl-0.9.7m.msi, I get to a point where it says:
It says, "for all users, on port 80, as a service -- Recommended."  This is
a checkbox and selected by default.

I want to install it on port 81 or any other port as a service, but I do not
have the option here to change the port.  My port 80 is already been used by
something (it shows up in netstat -a).

I do a custom install, but only change the directory to C:/Server.

Then when the install program tries to install Apache as a service, I get
the following error message:
"An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access
permissions."

Then I get the following message when it tries to execute the newly
installed service, The system cann find the file specified.  : No installed
serice named "Apache 2".

Is there any way around this problem?  Do I have to manually install Apache
as a service?  Is there a way to default that port 80 to port 81 or
something unused port?

I've looked online, but all the site I found just say Click on Install as
Service on Port 80 and click next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache as a Service When port 80 is already used.

Posted by ProgrammerMP <mp...@ontargettechnology.com>.
I install 2.2.6 as suggested.  When it tried to install the service, I got
(OS 5)Access is denied : Failed to open the Apache 2.2 Service.  I tracked
this error down and it seems to be a problem with MS Vista.  So, I guess I
should have mentioned I was using that OS.

The problem has something with Vista not considering user with admin rights
the same as being the admin.  So, the only way I could install the service
was to open a MS-DOS window as admin and then run the commands.

Everything appears to be working now.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.