Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Oliver Rossmueller <ol...@tuxerra.com> on 2004/10/25 01:36:15 UTC

Re: [Myfaces-develop] [ myfaces-Bugs-1045363 ] New
and   'feature'

I removed this "feature", as I agree with Martin Gladdish this is not
required by the spec and IMHO does not comply with the spec. If there is
a need for automatic newline to <br> conversion we should extend
x:outputText or find another way to do so.

Oliver

SourceForge.net wrote:
> Bugs item #1045363, was opened at 2004-10-12 13:40
> Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by Item Submitter
> You can respond by visiting:
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=525508&aid=1045363&group_id=69709
>
> Category: basic implementation
> Group: None
>
> Initial Comment:
>
> You may guess by the tone of this bug note that I'm
> rapidly running out of patience with the quality of
> code submitted to this project, and the amount of time
> that I have already wasted in tracking fundamental and
> critical bugs in what is claimed to be a post v1 release.
>
> What's triggered this rant is that some bloody idiot
> has taken it upon themselves to introduce two
> 'features' that are specifically NOT in the JSF v1.1
> spec. If I wanted a load of <br> tags written out in my
> custom components, I would have written the component
> explicitly to include them. Instead, I 'upgrade' my
> version of JSF to the latest release version and have
> it break the vast proportion of my app's pages.
>
> Html doesn't write blank lines for \n, neither does the
> jstl. How does this translate to 'appropriate escaping
> for the ouptut language'?
>
> If this was, say, a monolithic software corporation
> infamous globally for embracing and extending (i.e.
> breaking) existing standards, the developer community
> would, rightly, be up in arms (again). I don't see how
> this is different.
>
> If you want to get cute with the specs, at least turn
> it off by default and provide it as a configurable
> behaviour.

Oliver Rossmueller
Software Engineer and IT-Consultant
Hamburg, Germany
http://www.rossmueller.com

No flames here! (was Re: [Myfaces-develop] [ myfaces-Bugs-1045363 ] New
and   'feature')

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@apache.org>.
Martin,
In short: This is not the style of speech we use in discussions
regarding this project.
Nobody ever in this project was unwilling to discuss certain points.
And, BTW, also this issue was discussed on this list.
Yes, you might be annoyed by some changes that have occured. BUT: please
no flames here and do omit such words like "bloody idiot".
AND: Did you get the hang of "free open source"? Seems not, because
otherwise you would not do such absolutely nonsensical things like
compare the Myfaces project with M$ for instance.
AND: Regarding the "amount of time you have wasted". Ever thought of the
time, project members have "wasted" developing this project?

So, please cool down a little bit and let's discuss this in a civilized
manner.

Thanks,
Manfred