Posted to general@james.apache.org by nhtom <to...@email.com> on 2008/01/26 19:58:55 UTC

Now, kiddies...

Hi.  Brand new here.  Super basic questions.  I've looked but haven't found
this info.  Perhaps it's just too basic/obvious - but not to a mail server
novice like me.

I've set up JAMES on a PC.  I finally got it to receive email (I looked in
the folder), I just can't pick it up from Outlook on another machine.

In ZoneEdit I have my domain, "foo", set up like:
    IP Addresses:  Domain name: mail.foo   IP address: 12.34.56.78
                                            webmail.foo
12.34.56.78
    Domain: foo.com     Destination: mail.foo.com

In Outlook it asks for "Incoming mail server(POP3)"  Often, this looks like:
Pop3.domain.com.  How should this field be filled when connecting to JAMES?

Also, what should I enter to specify the SMTP server?  This is often
something like smtp1.domain.com.  What does JAMES provide/use?

When I simply enter foo.com for both of them and "Test Account Settings" it
establishes the connections, finds SMTP and POP3 but can't log onto POP3 nor
send a test message.

I've checked and rechecked the username password.  I've checked the username
and reset the password over the telnet connection.

I've been spinning on this for far too long.  Thank-you for any help.

NH-Tom

Re: Now, kiddies...

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 26, 2008 6:58 PM, nhtom <to...@email.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Brand new here.  Super basic questions.  I've looked but haven't found
> this info.  Perhaps it's just too basic/obvious - but not to a mail server
> novice like me.

just FYI server-user@james.apache.org is the best forum for these
kinds of questions

> I've set up JAMES on a PC.  I finally got it to receive email (I looked in
> the folder), I just can't pick it up from Outlook on another machine.
>
> In ZoneEdit I have my domain, "foo", set up like:
>     IP Addresses:  Domain name: mail.foo   IP address: 12.34.56.78
>                                             webmail.foo
> 12.34.56.78
>     Domain: foo.com     Destination: mail.foo.com
>
> In Outlook it asks for "Incoming mail server(POP3)"  Often, this looks like:
> Pop3.domain.com.  How should this field be filled when connecting to JAMES?

that depends :-)

if you've configured JAMES to serve standard POP3 then just use the
host name for the server that JAMES is running on

> Also, what should I enter to specify the SMTP server?  This is often
> something like smtp1.domain.com.  What does JAMES provide/use?

again, if you've configured JAMES to serve standard SMTP then just use
the host name for the server that JAMES is running on

> When I simply enter foo.com for both of them and "Test Account Settings" it
> establishes the connections, finds SMTP and POP3 but can't log onto POP3 nor
> send a test message.
>
> I've checked and rechecked the username password.  I've checked the username
> and reset the password over the telnet connection.

most email protocols are text based so i just dig out the RFC and telnet

(but then again, i'm a developer)

- robert