Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2003/09/10 13:49:40 UTC

Using FOP's Batik in Cocoon (Re: Cocoon's FOP hardcoded with JAI?)

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 12:59:07PM +0200, Steven Noels wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> >I'd be interested to know if any other users experience this problem, and
> >also why Cocoon needs a recompiled FOP jar in the first place.
>
> Me too, as I'm experiencing the exact same problem as you described,
> with jimi.jar on the classpath. Even worse, there isn't a supported
> version of JAI for Mac OSX.
>
> With the latest binary release version of FOP, I have no problems at
> all, so unless someone objects, I'll revert to that one.

+1

While you're at it, we should consider replacing Cocoon's Batik with that
from FOP 0.20.5.  Building FOP's site with CVS Forrest (fop 0.20.5 +
Batik from CVS) results in this error:

* [0] dev/svg/text.svg
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.batik.bridge.UnitProcessor.createContext(Lorg/apache/batik/bridge/BridgeContext;Lorg/w3c/dom/Element;)Lorg/apache/batik/util/UnitProcessor$Context;
        at org.apache.fop.svg.SVGElement.layout(SVGElement.java:218)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.InstreamForeignObject.layout(InstreamForeignObject.java:251)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.Block.layout(Block.java:257)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.AbstractFlow.layout(AbstractFlow.java:154)

Apparently this is a symptom of FOP requiring its own version of Batik:

http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-users/2003-June/035132.html
http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/mlists/batik-dev/archives/msg03372.html

When I switch in FOP's Batik, the problem disappears.  So I've committed
it for Forrest.

It's not clear-cut though.  Quoting the first referenced email:

  "This [using FOP's Batik] may have negative impacts on Cocoons SVG
  serializer though, so you should not use a PDF generating pipeline
  which uses embedded or referenced SVGs and a SVG generating pipeline at
  the same time.

Cc'ing fop-dev's who better know the pros and cons of this move.

--Jeff

Re: Using FOP's Batik in Cocoon (Re: Cocoon's FOP hardcoded with JAI?)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> I know FOP should be built with JAI and JIMI and I thought I have done
> it. Sorry for any inconvenience.

No problem - it brings a sense of reality about our user base and their
upgrade frequency, when we discover these things ourselves only after a
few weeks or so. ;-)

> The remaining question: Is Fop 0.20.5 incompatible to Batik 1.5? Is
> building a fop.jar for Cocoon the correct way or must we downgrade the
> Batik version?

 From what I see on forrest-dev, Jeff has switched back to
batik-1.5b4-fop.jar which comes with FOP. Maybe we should do that as well.

I'm on JDK1.4.1 without need for SVG processing though, so I cannot
easily test eventual 1.3.1 issues.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Using FOP's Batik in Cocoon (Re: Cocoon's FOP hardcoded with JAI?)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> I know FOP should be built with JAI and JIMI and I thought I have done
> it. Sorry for any inconvenience.

No problem - it brings a sense of reality about our user base and their
upgrade frequency, when we discover these things ourselves only after a
few weeks or so. ;-)

> The remaining question: Is Fop 0.20.5 incompatible to Batik 1.5? Is
> building a fop.jar for Cocoon the correct way or must we downgrade the
> Batik version?

 From what I see on forrest-dev, Jeff has switched back to

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Using FOP's Batik in Cocoon (Re: Cocoon's FOP hardcoded with JAI?)

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jh...@virbus.de>.
The exception below was the reason for building our own FOP and not taking
the released fop.jar. Immediately before releasing Cocoon 2.1 somebody told
us that Cocoon's FOP and Batik are incompatible, but a rebuild of FOP using
Cocoon's Batik helped, so I did it too and committed the fop.jar.

I know FOP should be built with JAI and JIMI and I thought I have done it.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

The remaining question: Is Fop 0.20.5 incompatible to Batik 1.5? Is building
a fop.jar for Cocoon the correct way or must we downgrade the Batik version?

Joerg

--
System Development
VIRBUS AG