Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Gufran Mohammed Pathan <Gu...@mu-sigma.com> on 2015/06/10 19:18:53 UTC

Empty Table in MR with "union all" (created in Tez)

Hi,

I'm unable to retrieve rows from a table created in Tez when using MR as execution engine. This happens only when the create table statement has "union all".

Here's a way to reproduce the issue:

set hive.execution.engine=tez;

create table test_table as
select "1" from table1
union all
select "1" from table2 ;

select * from test_table;  --gives correct roles

set hive.execution.engine=mr;

select * from test_table;  --gives empty table

Any ideas on why this must be happening? This issue does not occur when I don't use a "union all" query.

I'm using HDP 2.2 with Hive 0.14 and Tez 0.4.0.2.

Thanks,
Gufran Pathan| +91 7760913355| www.mu-sigma.com<http://www.mu-sigma.com/> |

Correlation does not imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing "look over there." -Randall Munroe

Disclaimer: http://www.mu-sigma.com/disclaimer.html

RE: Empty Table in MR with "union all" (created in Tez)

Posted by Gufran Mohammed Pathan <Gu...@mu-sigma.com>.
Hi Gopal,

My mapreduce.input.fileinputformat.input.dir.recursive was set to false. Setting it to true fixed it.

Thanks a lot!

Gufran Pathan| +91 7760913355| www.mu-sigma.com |

Correlation does not imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing "look over there." -Randall Munroe

> select * from test_table;  --gives empty table

> Any ideas on why this must be happening? This issue does not occur
>when I don¹t use a ³union all² query.

What is the value of the parameter
mapreduce.input.fileinputformat.input.dir.recursive in your mapred-site.xml?

Cheers,
Gopal

Posted by Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vaibhav Gumashta <vg...@hortonworks.com>.