Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Shuja Rehman <sh...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/05 18:15:52 UTC

Not able to run Hive

Re: Not able to run Hive

Posted by Shuja Rehman <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi
Thanks for replying.previously i changed in hive/bin. now i change in
build/dist and error is gone.
Thanks for answer

--
Regards
Shuja-ur-Rehman Baig

Re: Not able to run Hive

Re: Not able to run Hive

Posted by Thiruvel Thirumoolan <th...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hadoop 20.2 has HADOOP_HEAPSIZE (may be commented) defined in $HADOOP_CONF_DIR/hadoop-env.sh. $HADOOP_HOME/bin/hadoop uses this shell variable and constructs the max heap size.

1. Can you change HADOOP_HEAPSIZE and try? Either export on command line or change hadoop-env.sh.
2. Worst case - run 'hadoop' with 'set -x' turned on and you should be able to figure out whats wrong.

Re: Not able to run Hive

Posted by bharath vissapragada <bh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Not able to run Hive

Posted by Shuja Rehman <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

--
Regards
Shuja-ur-Rehman Baig

Re: Not able to run Hive

Posted by Shuja Rehman <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi all
Thanks for reply.
I have changed the heap size to 1024, then 512 then even 100 in the
specified file. But i am still getting this error.
I have 1 GB RAM in the system,  Kindly let me know if any solution exits ??

--
Regards
Shuja-ur-Rehman Baig

Re: Not able to run Hive

Posted by Sammy Yu <sy...@brightedge.com>.
Hi Shuja,

Re: Not able to run Hive

Posted by Yingyi Bu <bu...@gmail.com>.
Check this earlier thread:

That change my only be in trunk. Just in case he is referencing this.
be careful about lowering this. Queries with lots of AND/ORS will not
compile if you set this too low.

bin/ext/cli.sh
  else
      echo "Unable to determine Hadoop version information."
      echo "'hadoop version' returned:"
      echo `$HADOOP version`
      exit 6
  fi

  HADOOP_HEAPSIZE=4096
  HADOOP_OPTS="$HADOOP_OPTS -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit"

  if [ $minor_ver -lt 20 ]; then
      exec $HADOOP jar $AUX_JARS_CMD_LINE ${HIVE_LIB}/hive-cli-*.jar
$CLASS $HIVE_OPTS "$@"
  else
      # hadoop 20 or newer - skip the aux_jars option. picked up from hiveconf
      exec $HADOOP jar ${HIVE_LIB}/hive-cli-*.jar $CLASS $HIVE_OPTS "$@"
  fi

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Ning Zhang <nz...@facebook.com> wrote:
It is in bin/ext/cli.sh. search for 4096.