Posted to user@storm.apache.org by "Nick R. Katsipoulakis" <ni...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/19 14:07:51 UTC

Distributed logs coordination

Hello all,

I came across the following issue in my cluster and I would like to share
it with you, in case you have any proposals/solutions:

I am running my Storm (0.9.2) application in a 5 node cluster. Each bolt is
assigned randomly to one of the available workers and during execution,
each worker logs performance information. However, it seems that the clocks
of the machines I am using are skewed (some of them have minutes difference
between them). For instance, each bolt logs a number of events and also the
some custom performance metrics. However, when I try to plot all of the
bolts' metrics in one graph (let's say latency), I see that the time lines
are not identical.

How can I overcome the skewed clocks problem in order to have a single time
line of events happening in my cluster? Is there a way that I can have all
my bolts get a time-stamp from a single source? Any tutorials on using the
metrics framework that comes with Storm?

Thanks,
Nikos

--
Nikolaos Romanos Katsipoulakis,
University of Pittsburgh, PhD candidate

Re: Distributed logs coordination

Posted by "Nick R. Katsipoulakis" <ni...@gmail.com>.
Actually Grant, I just figured out that is not difficult to setup NTP on
those machines. I will go with that for now. Thank you very much

Nikos

Posted by "Nick R. Katsipoulakis" <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Grant Overby (groverby)" <gr...@cisco.com>.
NTP?