Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by mete <ef...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/22 09:20:32 UTC

hadoop.tmp.dir with multiple disks

Hello folks,

I have a job that processes text files from hdfs on local fs (temp
directory) and then copies those back to hdfs.
I added another drive to each server to have better io performance, but as
far as i could see hadoop.tmp.dir will not benefit from multiple disks,even
if i setup two different folders on different disks. (dfs.data.dir works
fine). As a result the disk with temp folder set is highy utilized, where
the other one is a little bit idle.
Does anyone have an idea on what to do? (i am using cdh3u3)

Thanks in advance
Mete

Re: hadoop.tmp.dir with multiple disks

Posted by mete <ef...@gmail.com>.
Harsh, thanks for the heads up, that seemed to do the trick.

Jay, i am building local files from the input, then compressing them on the
local drive, then copy back to hdfs.
So in my case it is really about io to the local fs..

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

--
Jay Vyas