Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by we...@tigris.org on 2009/04/29 14:50:22 UTC

Adding a new directory with a changelist

I'm running into a problem using changelists to filter my commits when I need to add a new directory.  The problem appears to be that the directory add itself cannot be in a changelist, so when I commit using the changelist, the directory add is not included, and the adds of new files in the directory therefore fail.  Here's an example:

svn mkdir newdir
svn cl test newdir

This command does nothing and outputs a "Skipped 'newdir'" message.

touch newdir/a
svn add newdir/a
svn cl test newdir/a
svn status

A       newdir

--- Changelist 'test':
A       newdir/a

svn commit --cl test -m "test msg"

fails with:

Adding         parent/newdir/a
Transmitting file data .svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: File not found: transaction '213-6l', path '/trunk/parent/newdir/a'

No doubt the problem is that the directory newdir isn't being added with the commit.  Is this a known limitation of changelists?  Is there a thought to improve this?

Thanks!