Posted to user@manifoldcf.apache.org by Basso Luca <LB...@Regione.Emilia-Romagna.it> on 2014/01/10 11:44:17 UTC

Field mapping for SOLR

Hi Karl,
we would use the Web repository connector in conjunction with the Solr output connector.
Would you please let us know the names and meanings of the metadata that are passed to Solr?
What we exactly mean are the names of the source metadata fields of the web connector which one should fill in the "Field Mapping" tab,
as explained here http://manifoldcf.apache.org/release/release-1.4.1/en_US/end-user-documentation.html#solroutputconnector
Thank you.

Best regards,
Luca Basso

Re: Field mapping for SOLR

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luca,

If you do not specify anything in the Field Mapping tab, the metadata is
posted with its original names.

The metadata for a given connection will include anything you enter on the
"Forced Metadata" tab, along with data added by the repository connection.
In some cases, legacy tabs exist for the output connection which do the
same thing as the "Forced Metadata" tab; they are treated in the same way.
The web connector has one such tab called "Metadata".

In general, the best way to determine what metadata will be included would
be to set up your repository and output connection, and a small job, and
see what actually gets posted to Solr.  For Solr, you can see this because
by default Solr prints an INFO message to the log describing the request.

For the Web connector, the metadata includes the document's HTTP headers,
which of course you'd have to refer to the W3C specification if you needed
an entire list.

Thanks,
Karl