Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Kristen Legacy <kr...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/24 19:32:02 UTC

Bootstrapping Rave Website

This is in regards to: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAVE-807

Markdown & bootstrap aren't going to readily mesh since bootstrap relies heavily on classes and data-attributes and markdown has minimal support for their usage. I want get a feel for what the consensus is on the best approach to bootstrapping rave.apache.org is for everyone and get any alternative ideas.

It seems there are 2 options:

1). Move more complex features such as the navigation, into templates and use markdown, with minimal markup, for main content; Instead relying on jQuery and some selector black magic to apply bootstraps styles and js functionality. We'll still run into issues since there's no way (that I've discovered) to get a unique selector around markdown (looks like in markdown id's or classes can be added to each element, but not the generated parent element...not to mention the issue of having to rewrite much of the styles with custom selectors).

-or-

2). Just add markup to markdown.

I'm inclined to think the first would be more inline with the ApacheCMS recommendations (and better practice) while the second will be substantially easier to implement. As you may have already deduced, I'm not especially familiar with Apache CMS or the technologies it's using (markdown, perl, etc.), so any info/suggestions/google-slaps are appreciated :)

Thanks!
Kristen

Side question- would it be preferable in the future that I add such questions it to the Jira issue as a comment instead of emailing dev?