Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Goss, Lucas" <LG...@sheriffleefl.org> on 2003/05/22 18:01:20 UTC

import local problems

On my windows 2000 machine I was having trouble importing a directory and just wanted to make sure that this is how things are supposed to behave. On entering the following command (taken from the faq):

svn import file:///svntest c:\adir

I get the error "svn: No external editor available..."

however if I just add a message such as:

svn import file:///svntest c:\adir -m "initial import"
or add an editor
svn import file:///svntest c:\adir --editor-cmd notepad
then just close the editor and choose c)ontinue to leave log message unchanged or unspecified, it works fine.

That leads me to ask, does a message have to be specified to do an import? If so then it would help if it was in the faq.

Re: import local problems

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
"Goss, Lucas" <LG...@sheriffleefl.org> writes:

> That leads me to ask, does a message have to be specified to do an
> import? If so then it would help if it was in the faq.

Yes, an import is just a specific type of a commit.  Commits require
log messages.  That's true in cvs, and true in svn.