Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org> on 2018/03/02 09:11:26 UTC

Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback

hi all,

I was thinking a while about all this and all the problems involved here
and I want to show an alternative.

Apache Groovy Community Award

Name surely to be changed. The idea is to give a nominal award for what
they did in the past. Somebody getting this award will get this for a
reason, which is to be stated.

Since it is no title like "champion" and since we can give a description
of the reasons the award will be always specific, it is not a title you
carry around your lifetime and all of that. Maybe a person could be
awarded multiple times, but that is then to decide. That means there
will be no discussions about revoking the championship, or for how long
this is granted. Also I think the award leaves better space for a good
naming. Also we can give commit access along with it, which may or may
not be taken, but then includes the official ASF way of recognizing people.

what do you guys think?

bye Jochen

Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback

Posted by Paolo Di Tommaso <pa...@gmail.com>.
I this proposal +1

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
If FoG takes part in voting process of "Groovy Star", it is a bit like Nobel
Prize. Rewarding the winners bonus seems not a bad idea IMO.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

-----
Apache Groovy committer & PMC member
Blog: http://blog.sunlan.me
Twitter: @daniel_sun

Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback

Posted by Sergio Del Amo <se...@softamo.com>.
+1 I would leave the money out.

 But a trophy or something physical would be nice.

I would collect votes via a web form. To keep the winner unknown. Allows for surprise announcement.

Sergio

Posted by Andres Almiray <aa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.
Good summary Søren. Let me add my 5 Gents to maybe advance the topic
further:

 1. Since I think that this is the easiest: Anybody who is against
    taking funds out of FOG (Friends of Groovy) for this in principle
    should speak up now or 4ever hold his peace G-)
 2. As a ballpark number / discussion point I would suggest $250 to $500
    for the award - what do you gals & guys think ? Too high ? Too low ?
 3. My suggestion would be to award it for work done recently (i.e. not
    life-time), in part for the practical reason that I think it would
    be easier to agree on a person here, and it would be faster to get
    this whole thing off the ground... (Disclaimer: I have argued for
    non-lifetime before based on additional reasons)
 4. One important open question, as you point out, is: Who should be
    allowed to vote ? PMC (maybe too restrictive) ? FOG contributors ?
    Everyone who has been on the dev or user mailing list for a year ?
    Note: Letting everyone vote would worry me, since I have personally
    witnessed votes like that being manipulated/rigged (all in the name
    of "well, democracy has spoken..."), by someone who has 50 Facebook
    friends...
 5. Shall the vote be "most votes wins", or a decision between the e.g.
    two people with the highest number of votes, or... ?
 6. Shall the vote be changeable (i.e. everybody sees how many votes
    everybody currently has, and the votes can be shifted, until the
    voting is over) ?
 7. Is the voting going to be informal e.g. through posting on the
    mailing list, or would we want to use a web site/service for this
    (which ? requires more effort...) ?
 8. Shall the award be virtual, or tied to a physical manifestation ? If

Posted by Søren Berg Glasius <so...@glasius.dk>.
[...]

"comitter" or PMC member. If it is monitary the money could come from
Friends of Groovy, if that can be agreed uppon.

Awards could be announced at Groovy related conferences (GR8Conf, Greach,
devnexus2gm or others)

There need to be a discussion on how the nominees are appointed, and who
decides on who will get the award.

From e personal point of view (and from the view of being a conference

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by "Milles, Eric (TR Tech, Content & Ops)" <er...@thomsonreuters.com>.