Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Zheng Shao <zs...@facebook.com> on 2009/04/04 03:35:18 UTC

why SequenceFile cannot run without native GZipCodec?

I guess the performance will be bad, but we should still be able to read/write the file. Correct?

Why do we throw an Exception?

Zheng

Re: why SequenceFile cannot run without native GZipCodec?

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Apr 4, 2009, at 7:05 AM, Zheng Shao wrote:

> I guess the performance will be bad, but we should still be able to
> read/write the file. Correct?
>
> Why do we throw an Exception?

java.util.zip.GzipCodec doesn't expose the underlying codec... that's
critical to do a *reset*. The native
org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.GzipCodec _does_ expose the 'reset'
functionality and hence is the only viable option.

Arun