Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> on 2012/05/04 01:32:45 UTC

E-Mail client guidelines on the mailing list

Hi,

Matt told us yesterday (at the CloudStack event) that there are no rules
on a Apache project, but I do think some guidelines are needed.

One of the things we should discuss is the usage of the devel list and
how you post on it.

I'm suggesting to use:
- Plain-text e-mail only
- No disclaimers or big signatures
- No top-quoting, only bottom quoting or in-line
- Send patches using "git send-email"
- Always Reply-All

I regularly read my e-mail on my phone or on some other high-latency,
low-bandwidth connection and in those cases it's nice to have plain-text
e-mail only.

Also, I like plain-text e-mail :-)

Keeping the mailing list clean should make it easier to participate and
keep track of all the conversations.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Wido

Re: E-Mail client guidelines on the mailing list

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
On 04-05-12 02:31, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 04/05/2012, at 9:47 AM, David Nalley wrote:
>
>>> I'm suggesting to use:
>>> - Plain-text e-mail only
>
> The list is configured to strip HTML - which you will see on this message that was sent in HTML as a test (with apologies if I'm wrong!)

Ah, that's great! This might be something that's not configured on the
old mailinglist. That probably got me confused.

Wido

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Matt told us yesterday (at the CloudStack event) that there are no rules on
> a Apache project, but I do think some guidelines are needed.
>
> One of the things we should discuss is the usage of the devel list and how
> you post on it.
>
> I'm suggesting to use:
> - Plain-text e-mail only
> - No disclaimers or big signatures
> - No top-quoting, only bottom quoting or in-line
> - Send patches using "git send-email"
> - Always Reply-All
>
> I regularly read my e-mail on my phone or on some other high-latency,
> low-bandwidth connection and in those cases it's nice to have plain-text
> e-mail only.
>
> Also, I like plain-text e-mail :-)
>
> Keeping the mailing list clean should make it easier to participate and keep
> track of all the conversations.
>
> Comments? Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wido

I can't agree enough.

And honestly we've had these 'policies' in place for over a year:
and our new ASF friends have the following mailing list guidelines:
https://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html

I know this is a big change for some - but please look at Wido's
comments above and learn how to set your mail client to behave
appropriately - at least in the case of the mailing lists.

--David

Re: E-Mail client guidelines on the mailing list

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
To clarify, I said there were no fixed rules on how a project conducts itself (like the e-mail discussion).  The ASF is not completely lawless :)

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

A Day Without Nuclear Fusion Is a Day Without Sunshine