Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Hariharan <ha...@ddeorg.soft.net> on 1997/12/09 10:06:44 UTC

Port # for Apache....

Hi,

	I have ported the Apache 1.2.4 to our flavour of SVR 4.2 unix.  But, the
httpd fails to execute with the following error message:

	bind: Cannot assign requested address
	httpd: could not bind to port 80

	I followed the instructions present in the httpd.conf file and checked in
other server's setup also.  There is no other http daemons present in the
server in which I try to install apache.  That port is not connected inbound.
But, it gives the same error to whatever the port number I set. (Ofcourse,
which are free!).  Any lights on this?

	Thanks in Advance!!
Hariharan,            Voice:+91-80-553 8125
Development Engineer,                  9217
DDEORG Systems Ltd.,                   9220
Bangalore 068, INDIA.
mailto:hari@ddeorg.soft.net

Re: Port # for Apache....

Posted by Deng Jing <de...@tango.ncic.ac.cn>.

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Hariharan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I have ported the Apache 1.2.4 to our flavour of SVR 4.2 unix.  But, the
> httpd fails to execute with the following error message:
>
> 	bind: Cannot assign requested address
> 	httpd: could not bind to port 80

Are you ROOT when you install web server? Only ROOT can bind port
1-1024.

Re: Port # for Apache....

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
Trying specifying an explicit Listen directive with your IP address.

Sounds like it may be a buggy OS.