Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by myreasoner <my...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/20 20:30:26 UTC

Column family has more SSTables than threshold but no minorcompaction is running

                Column Family: CF_1
                SSTable count: 249
                Space used (live): 15120496328
                Space used (total): 15120496328
                Number of Keys (estimate): 18860800
                Memtable Columns Count: 0
                Memtable Data Size: 0
                Memtable Switch Count: 2483
                Read Count: 442
                Read Latency: NaN ms.
                Write Count: 208741548
                Write Latency: NaN ms.
                Pending Tasks: 0
                Key cache capacity: 200000
                Key cache size: 2395
                Key cache hit rate: NaN
                Row cache capacity: 200000
                Row cache size: 221
                Row cache hit rate: NaN
                Compacted row minimum size: 104
                Compacted row maximum size: 73457
                Compacted row mean size: 394

Current compaction thresholds: min = 4,  max = 32

As shown above, the # of SStables exceeds the max, the node load is light
but it's not running minor compaction on this Column family.  I don't want
to run major compaction manually from time to time.  Is there anything I can
tune?

Re: Column family has more SSTables than threshold but no minorcompaction is running

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
yes in 0.8 the compaction thresholds are for buckets of files.

Files are put into buckets where the size of each file is +/- half the size of the average size. Files smaller than 50MB (from memory) are all put in the first bucket.

You can change the compaction thresholds via nodetool, and trigger a minor compaction by flushing. Again via node tool.

Cheers
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton