Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Harshad Oak <ha...@hotpop.com> on 2004/01/15 15:06:36 UTC

Net Component SMTP authentication

Hello,

I am trying out the SMTP capabilities of the Net component. I am unable to find a way by which I could provide SMTP authentication (username and password) information to the SMTPClient. Would be great if someone can shed some light on how one uses the Net component to send mails even if the SMTP server requires authentication.

thanks,
harshad

Re: Net Component SMTP authentication

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Googling,

'SMTP AUTH' sounds like 'SMTP authentication'. This link:
http://members.elysium.pl/brush/smtp-auth/ suggests it is part of ESMTP,
and the Commons Net wishlist has 'Add ESMTP commands'.

There's also no AUTH in:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/net/apidocs/org/apache/commons/net/smtp/SMTPCommand.html

so I reckon Commons Net can't handle SMTP authentication yet.

Looking at the FAQ, someone else has a question of:

"Q: Does the SMTP client support ESMTP functions? Does it support RFC
2821, RFC 2822, RFC 2487 TLS, RFC 2554 authentication, RFC 2920 command
pipelining, RFC 3030 large/binary messages, etc."

so I guess AUTH is RFC 2554.

So [net] guys, any chance of updating the FAQ to answer that one?

There's also an unanswered question about FTPClient.

Hen