Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Daniel Exner <da...@esemos.de> on 2021/04/01 08:05:19 UTC

Re: Partial Updates for EnumFields in Solr 8.8.1

Hi,

On 2021/03/30 14:59:40, Shawn Heisey <a....@elyograg.org> wrote:
> On 3/30/2021 4:07 AM, Daniel Exner wrote:
>> When updating some different field, like say "stock" for a document
>> using partial Update, *all* enum Fields with stored=false vanish from
>> the document.
>>
>> There is no error or Warning about this somewhere in Error log.
>
> If you have fields that are not stored, and do not have docValues with
> the flag to use docValues as stored, you will lose those fields when you
> do an atomic update.  No error is logged when this happens because the
> behavior isn't an error.  It's inherent to the way that the Atomic
> Update feature works.
>
> The documentation states this requirement pretty clearly, though it
> doesn't mention the need for useDocValuesAsStored.

This is known and the fields in question all have the attribute
docValues=true.

I might have not stated clearly: the exact same mechanism works
flawlessly with Solr 8.2.

 From reading the documentation  useDocValuesAsStored is a query
parameter to change the behaviour of ommitting the fl parameter or
setting it to * for not stored fields and got nothing todo whether those
fields are actually in the document or not.

> https://solr.apache.org/guide/8_8/updating-parts-of-documents.html#field-storage
>
> Can you share your full schema?  You will need to either paste the whole
> thing into the email text or put it on an info-sharing site and give us

> a link to it.  If you try attaching a file to an email, the mailing list
> will most likely remove the attachment before any of us receive the email.

Sure. I uploaded the schema to:

https://pastebin.com/v6NwWnkx

The enumsConfig.xml is here:

https://pastebin.com/RZw1xPN6

Testcase we used so far:

* fill Index
* read mxlang field for some id
* try in place update for "oxvarstock" Field for that id
* try rereading mxlang field
--> nothing

Hope someone can make up some sense of that. If not I'm going to open up
a bug report.

Greetings
Daniel Exner

Re: Partial Updates for EnumFields in Solr 8.8.1

Posted by Daniel Exner <da...@esemos.de>.
Hi,

Am 01.04.21 um 19:09 schrieb Shawn Heisey:
> On 4/1/2021 2:05 AM, Daniel Exner wrote:
>> Sure. I uploaded the schema to:
>>
>> https://pastebin.com/v6NwWnkx
>
> Your schema version is 1.5.  This means that useDocValuesAsStored is
> false.  See if anything changes if you update the schema version to 1.6,
> at which point useDocValuesAsStored will default to true.

Yes, changing schema version to 1.6 fixed the issue with in-place Updates.

I still consider this a bug, since this changed somewhere in between
Solr 8.2 and 8.8.1.

Greetings
Daniel Exner

Re: Partial Updates for EnumFields in Solr 8.8.1

Posted by Shawn Heisey <el...@elyograg.org>.
On 4/1/2021 2:05 AM, Daniel Exner wrote:
> Sure. I uploaded the schema to:
>
> https://pastebin.com/v6NwWnkx

Your schema version is 1.5.  This means that useDocValuesAsStored is
false.  See if anything changes if you update the schema version to 1.6,
at which point useDocValuesAsStored will default to true.

Thanks,
Shawn