Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Aldrin Leal <al...@leal.eng.br> on 2011/07/25 05:06:29 UTC

Pimp My Mojo

Folks,

I wrote a few weeks ago a plugin for Amazon Elastic Beanstalk, with some
Elastic MapReduce features as well.

It is at http://bitbucket.org/aldrinleal/beanstalker, with a git mirror at
http://github.com/ingenieux/beanstalker

Can you look and give me advice on how to improve, and/or any interesting
point to raise? (Or perhaps just use it? hehe)

Thank you

--
-- Aldrin Leal, <al...@leal.eng.br>

Re: Pimp My Mojo

Posted by Aldrin Leal <al...@leal.eng.br>.
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org> wrote:

> I didn't see your second link to github.  Maybe I should have spent more
> time reading your email, but there you go, feedback in the form of what
> wasn't noticed.

Sure. I am also about to take a clone on brix-cms as well

I don't see a LICENSE.TXT nor do I see headers on
> https://github.com/ingenieux/beanstalker/blob/master/mapreduce-maven-plugin/src/main/java/br/com/ingenieux/mojo/mapreduce/AbstractMapreduceMojo.java,
> for instance, other files seem similarly affected.  Consider using
> http://mojo.codehaus.org/license-maven-plugin/ (another project hosted at
> Codehaus).

Hm... Yes, you're right on this one. Thanks for your comment.

Re: Pimp My Mojo

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.

http://www.sonatype.com/books/mvnref-book/reference/writing-plugins-sect-custom-plugin.html#writing-plugins-sect-plugin-prefix

> importantly, the visibility provided by being on Codehaus will encourage
>> someone that needs something similar to add to your project instead of
>> starting their own (if they didn't know yours existed).
>>

> Like forks on github?

I didn't see your second link to github.  Maybe I should have spent more time reading your email, but there you go, feedback in the form of what wasn't noticed.

>> 2. If you really want to keep things in your own silo, consider getting
>> approved to use the Sonatype OSS repository.
>>

> It is already being put into OSS and released on central

Yes, I started by looking at the lower-level POMs.  (I'm starting to very much feel I shouldn't have wasted the time on commenting at all....)

Re: Pimp My Mojo

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
It's an interesting mojo, very promising.

What about extending it to EC2 instances manipulations ?

Re: Pimp My Mojo

Posted by Aldrin Leal <al...@leal.eng.br>.
--
-- Aldrin Leal, <al...@leal.eng.br> / http://www.leal.eng.br/mnemetica/

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org> wrote:

> A few minor observations (since you are soliciting them).  I haven't run
> the plugins or have any experience of not in the plugin domain, so I can't
> comment on the goals or workflow.
>
> 1. I'm not sure of the benefit of putting the source on Bitbucket, versus
> under Codehaus' Mojo project, the latter will push to Maven central and
> allow for better name resolution.  More

Sorry, are we on the same page? I'm mostly a mercurial user, but I'm aware
there are git users (Mercurial is pretty flexible to let me mirror my hg
repo out to github). I decided to keep my own mojo on its own address in
order to stand my own work and company (for the record, it is at
http://beanstalker.ingenieux.com.br/).

importantly, the visibility provided by being on Codehaus will encourage
> someone that needs something similar to add to your project instead of
> starting their own (if they didn't know yours existed).

Like forks on github?

> 2. If you really want to keep things in your own silo, consider getting
> approved to use the Sonatype OSS repository.

It is already being put into OSS and released on central

3. The license is not clear.  License compliance is important in most
> enterprises, and having a license protects you against personal liability.

Beyond bitbucket? Headers and meta state APSL

> 4. Your plugin build is not running the "helpmojo" goal.  This generates
> the proper code so (for instance) mapreduce-maven-plugin:help will generate
> a usage information.

I will look into it.

> The code otherwise looks pretty clean.  The use of expressions in
> parameters is a big deal for usability, and you have that covered.  The
> plugin API was designed to be easy to develop for, and you've used it
> correctly.

Oh, great. Thank you

Re: Pimp My Mojo

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
A few minor observations (since you are soliciting them).  I haven't run the plugins or have any experience of not in the plugin domain, so I can't comment on the goals or workflow.

1. I'm not sure of the benefit of putting the source on Bitbucket, versus under Codehaus' Mojo project, the latter will push to Maven central and allow for better name resolution.  More importantly, the visibility provided by being on Codehaus will encourage someone that needs something similar to add to your project instead of starting their own (if they didn't know yours existed).
2. If you really want to keep things in your own silo, consider getting approved to use the Sonatype OSS repository.
3. The license is not clear.  License compliance is important in most enterprises, and having a license protects you against personal liability.
4. Your plugin build is not running the "helpmojo" goal.  This generates the proper code so (for instance) mapreduce-maven-plugin:help will generate a usage information.

The code otherwise looks pretty clean.  The use of expressions in parameters is a big deal for usability, and you have that covered.  The plugin API was designed to be easy to develop for, and you've used it correctly.

Cheers, Brian