Posted to gui-dev@apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1997/06/20 21:55:29 UTC

Consider the following

I'd like to divert our attention from the actual GUI to _one_
possible manifestation of the interface to the configuration server.

For example:

telnet config.yourserver.org 8080
Password: .....
config>
config> show config
	.... output of config in familiar format ....

config> show config vhost www.someotherserver.org
	<VirtualHost>
		ServerName www.someotherserver.org
		DocumentRoot .....
	</VirtualHost>
config> edit config vhost www.someotherserver.org
password>.....
config-edit> documentroot /some/different/directory
config-edit> save exit
config> show stats vhost www.someotherserver.org
config> save sql sqlhost.server.org
config> save file /usr/local/etc/httpd.conf
config> exit

With this type of interface to the _running_ configuration of the
server, everyone here can go out and create whatever GUI they wish.
It only needs to speak the language of this interface. It offers
other benefits such as realtime syntax checking, access to running
configuration info, debugging capability, etc.

Thoughts?