Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Matthias Pfau <pf...@l3s.de> on 2011/12/06 12:43:42 UTC

Re: Second Cassandra users survey

It took some time to gather our requirements and to check what are our
most important needs. However, here they are:

* Column position range queries: We would like to access columns not by
their name, but by their position in the row.
Example: row("A":v1, "B":v2, "C":v3, "D":v4); ; ordered by UTF8TYPE
Example query: "Give all elements with position range 1..3" would return
("B":v2, "C":v3, "D":v4)

* Arbitrary position range queries: We would like to access arbitrary
colums by their position in the row:
Example query: "Give all elements with positions (0, 3, 1)" would return
("B":v2, "D":v4, "A":v1)

* Security for client-server communication (thrift): A big benefit for
all users of cassandra which deploy the cluster into untrusted
environments (Amazon EC2 etc.) would be the possibility to secure the
client-server communication with SSL. This has already been implemented
in Thrift (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-106) and
must probably be added to CassandraDaemon.ThriftServer.

Kind regards
Arne and Matthias