Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com> on 2006/08/05 18:58:41 UTC

version numbers

Hi,

Some questions about version numbers:

1. Is it true that we should keep the OpenJPA version number below 1.0
until we get out of incubation?

2. The @since tags in the OpenJPA javadocs are currently all relative to
Kodo version numbers (i.e., the most recent ones say @since 4.1, etc.).
How do we want to rectify this? Options:

a) Move OpenJPA's version number up to 4.1 as soon as it comes out of
incubation.

b) The Reverse Emacs. Toss a 1 onto the beginning, so that 4.1 becomes
1.4.1.

c) Ignore the problem. There's nothing to see here.

d) Remove all the @since tags, and start afresh.

3. Should we be striving to keep the version numbers of the various
sub-modules in sync, or should each get a separate version number moving
forward?

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.

Re: version numbers

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 8/5/06, Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some questions about version numbers:
>
> 1. Is it true that we should keep the OpenJPA version number below 1.0
> until we get out of incubation?

projects under incubation are not allowed to create official apache
releases. the version number strategy is up to the project community.

IMHO there are a few reasons why most podlings choose to adopt this
version numbering model:

a 1.0 release is a good way to generate momentum for a project
especially amongst users. graduation followed soon by a good 1.0
release works well. the product and the community should be ready
after graduation to handle additional interest in a positive manner.

too much adoption too early can hurt a project's development. during
graduation, the ratio of active developers (in the apache sense of
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/participation.html#developer) to
passive users needs to be high. releasing 0.x versions is a way of
targetting active early adopters.

- robert

Re: version numbers

Posted by Abe White <aw...@bea.com>.
> Marc Prud'hommeaux proposed an interesting alternate to solution 2b
> -- we
> could prefix all the current @since tags with '0.', so that the old
> Kodo
> version information is still accessible (i.e., we'd have @since
> 0.3.3 for
> things that were introduced in Kodo 3.3).

+1
by email and then delete it.

RE: version numbers

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.
Ok, I just checked in an update that changes all of them (except for the
ones in the repackage util.concurrent package).

> I admire the discipline it took to put all those tags in
> there in the
> first place.

Thanks! Sadly, they're not 100% -- we certainly have added important
APIs without adding @since tags. Also, we typically have only added
@since for methods / classes that we expect will be used outside of
their immediate environment.

> I hope that's a tradition that continues.

Ditto.

-Patrick
by email and then delete it.

Re: version numbers

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Aug 29, 2006, at 6:01 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

> Does anyone have any thoughts about the questions posed below? In
> particular, I haven't heard a peep about issues > 1.
>
> Marc Prud'hommeaux proposed an interesting alternate to solution 2b
> -- we
> could prefix all the current @since tags with '0.', so that the old
> Kodo
> version information is still accessible (i.e., we'd have @since
> 0.3.3 for
> things that were introduced in Kodo 3.3).
>
> Thoughts?

Actually, I noticed this say two weeks back and was going to post
about it (wasn't subscribed when this was mentioned).

I like the '0.' solution.  The @since tags are cool.  Whether or not
it's Kodo specific, it's still valuable information on how the code
evolved -- a little window into OpenJPA before it's life at Apache.
It'd be a shame to remove it.

I admire the discipline it took to put all those tags in there in the
first place.  I hope that's a tradition that continues.

-David

Re: version numbers

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the 0. prefix.  Keeping the old Kodo history might be helpful for you
in the future.

I also think that keeping all of the sub-projects' version numbers in synch
makes the most sense.

Kevin

Re: version numbers

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

RE: version numbers

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@bea.com>.
Neat idea.
+1.

Pinaki Poddar
BEA Systems
415.402.7317

RE: version numbers

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.
Does anyone have any thoughts about the questions posed below? In
particular, I haven't heard a peep about issues > 1.

Marc Prud'hommeaux proposed an interesting alternate to solution 2b -- we
could prefix all the current @since tags with '0.', so that the old Kodo
version information is still accessible (i.e., we'd have @since 0.3.3 for
things that were introduced in Kodo 3.3).

Thoughts?

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey