Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/19 00:40:08 UTC

[shale] Using Shale, Struts 1.x and JSF together

I know this might sound crazy but is there any reason why I couldn't
use these three technologies together?  Believe it or not there is a
good reason.  This would be for a very large existing application and
we can't convert everything at once.  I think we're going to go ahead
with adding some screens (wizards actually) using JSF (MyFaces).

These pages will be outside of my normal Tiles layouts so I don't have
to worry about interractions with Tiles.  Any use of Tiles would be
through Struts (and not JSF) so I don't think there would be a problem
there.

Also, I don't need struts-faces (at least I don't think I need it).  I
just want to use 'whatever.do' for my struts pages and have them pass
through the Shale business with no harm done.  From what I can see,
this would be possible.

My JSF pages wouldn't use any actions.  That code would be moved to
new backing beans (perhaps ViewControllers).  Personally, this seems
easier than trying to integrate them with existing forms and actions.

I might find use for some of the Shale stuff and I'd like to help
evaluate it so that's why I'd be adding that to the mix.

Any reason why I couldn't get this to work?

TIA,

sean

Re: [shale] Using Shale, Struts 1.x and JSF together

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> As to whether it's a good idea or not, doing a piecemeal migration
> seems like a rational reason.  I wouldn't choose the stategy as a
> permanent solution, though.

Right.  This would only be temporary until we could get to just Shale + JSF.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
I can't see any reason why classic Struts 1.x code and Shale+JSF stuff
couldn't cohabitate in the same app.  Using the integration library in
addition would be likely to cause problems because of differing
assumptions about whether it sees all requests or not.

As to whether it's a good idea or not, doing a piecemeal migration
seems like a rational reason.  I wouldn't choose the stategy as a
permanent solution, though.

Craig