Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de> on 2017/10/12 16:18:57 UTC

RE: [NOTICE] Getting ready to start the SVN → Git migration

if i get it correctly the git migration is still suspended - and all commits can go to svn as usual.

a discussion about the huge number of sling git repos was started in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15229 but then continued on users@infra list - afaik i've no access on this list.

was there an outcome of the discussion - do we need a new plan for the git migration?
new time plan for the git migration?

stefan

Posted by Julian Sedding <js...@gmail.com>.
I cannot see users@infra either, issues@infra is visible after login.

Regards
Julian

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2017-10-12 at 20:55 +0000, Justin Edelson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 4:42 PM Stefan Seifert <sseifert@pro-vision.d
> e>
> wrote:
>
> > > BTW, not sure what the access rule for users@infra are, but you
> > > should
> > > be able to access https://lists.apache.org/list.html?users@infra.
> > > apache
> > > .org and then log in with your ASF credentials. I think it works
> > > for
> > > committers.
> >
> > even if i login:
> > i cannot access https://lists.apache.org/list.html?users@infra.apac
> > he.org
> > i can access https://lists.apache.org/list.html?issues@infra.apache
> > .org
> >
> > stefan
> >

> What I see is that when I try to go to
> https://lists.apache.org/list.html?users@infra.apache.org, after
> authenticating, I end up on
> https://lists.apache.org/list.html?issues@infra.apache.org

Just to make sure - did you authenticate with your ASF credentials?

I am not sure whether the archive is open just to members or just
committers. Since [1] states that "The infra@ mailing list should be
considered a semipublic list as many Apache committers --- not only
Team members --- are subscribed" I guess it should be open to
committers that are not members.

Thanks,

Robert

[1]: https://www.apache.org/dev/infra-contact

Re: [NOTICE] Getting ready to start the SVN → Git migration

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.

Posted by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Stefan,

On Thu, 2017-10-12 at 16:18 +0000, Stefan Seifert wrote:
> if i get it correctly the git migration is still suspended - and all
> commits can go to svn as usual.
>
> a discussion about the huge number of sling git repos was started in
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15229 but then continued
> on users@infra list - afaik i've no access on this list.
>
> was there an outcome of the discussion - do we need a new plan for
> the git migration?
> new time plan for the git migration?

Sorry for the delay, there is still a discussion going on in users@infr
a .

Basically the infra team has some concerns regarding how well they can
service the very large number of git repositories.

I have not yet clearly understood all the reasons beind this, but one
that was stated is that they would like to avoid any situation where
they would need to perform manual tasks over a large number of repos.
One example that was given was Travis integration, which must be done
manually by infra for each repo.

I'm going to try and understand what can be done automatically and what
needs to be done manually, and try very hard to avoid asking infra to
do any manual work for our 200+ repos.