Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> on 2013/01/21 16:05:28 UTC

we need to better document the patch process

Good morning,

Ever time I go to apply a patch to take a look at the code, it has failed for various reasons.  I took a quick look at our website and I didn't see anywhere obvious where we document how to generate a patch to attach to a JIRA bug.  Did I overlook it?  If so, we need to make it more obvious.  If we haven't documented it we need to do that.

I would suggest on the Source Code page we might want to nicely state that only commitors can commit to SVN, otherwise a patch needs to be added to a JIRA bug and then explain how to generate the patch.  They should be created with svn and generated from root.

Carol

Re: we need to better document the patch process

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 1/21/13 5 :07PM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:05 AM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Good morning,
> >>
> >> Ever time I go to apply a patch to take a look at the code, it has
> >>failed
> >> for various reasons.  I took a quick look at our website and I didn't
> >>see
> >> anywhere obvious where we document how to generate a patch to attach to
> >> JIRA bug.  Did I overlook it?  If so, we need to make it more obvious.
> >>If
> >> we haven't documented it we need to do that.
> >>
> >> I would suggest on the Source Code page we might want to nicely state
> >>that
> >> only commitors can commit to SVN, otherwise a patch needs to be added
> >>to a
> >> JIRA bug and then explain how to generate the patch.  They should be
> >> created with svn and generated from root.
> >>
> >> Carol
> >>

> >I am wondering if you are applying the patch in a wrong manner?  ;-)
> >
> >For me (I use TortoiseSVN on Windows), no matter where in the hierarchy I
> >try to apply the patch, I get notified that there is a better path to
> >apply
> >the patch - if there is one. I just accept the path that TortoiseSVN
> >proposes and the patch is applied fine.
> >
> >What tools do you use and what kind of failures are you seeing?
>
> I was using SmartSVN on OSX.  The path was List.as.  I tried from root and
> that failed so then I tried from the correct directory in Spark and that
> failed as well with a server error.  Aside from that there is more than
> one List.as in the tree so the patch should really have the entire path,
> or at least more of the path to make it unique.
>
> Here is the patch:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12565463/FLEX-33169_Mobile
> _List_Selection.patch
>
> Carol

Right, when I tried to apply that patch from root/sdk/, TortoiseSVN told me
that  there is a better path.  I used that path, but the patch was
rejected.  It apparently found the wrong List.as.  You are correct, this
patch needs a better path to be applied.

Thanks,
Om

Re: we need to better document the patch process

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Think the issue is that  there's not one way to generate a patch. Do we want to document them all?

For instance;
1. From  FB  or other IDE.
2. Using Tortoise or Tower of other SVN client
3. Using git client or GitHub (using the git mirrors)

Justin

Re: we need to better document the patch process

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
If you wouldn't mind updating the language in that page, that would help
out a lot.  I rely on the integrated SVN tools in my IDEs to be much use ;)

-Nick

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Carol,