Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by password password <be...@yahoo.es> on 2005/07/11 18:42:46 UTC

Problem when a click a button that it execute a servlet "n" times

Hi,
  I have a problem with a button in my jsp page. When I click the button then it excutes a servlet. But if i click two or three or n times it executes a servlet
 "n" times.

How can I do that this button execute only once independent of the number of times that you click the button.

Thanks.

---------------------------------

Correo Yahoo!
Comprueba qué es nuevo, aquí
http://correo.yahoo.es

Re: Problem when a click a button that it execute a servlet "n" times

Posted by password password <be...@yahoo.es>.
My problem is that I can not disable the button because when the user click the button the application return a file to the user. And when the process has finished then the user have to can download other file.

The button does the next (call a servlet):

   - Process the inserted information  by the user.
   - Store this information in a oracle database .
   - Finally, return a file to the user (download).

The user always is in the same jsp page. In the page the user enter a lot of information, and the idea is the user can download various files.

I can not refesh the page because I lose the entered information by user.

If I disable the button the user can not download other file because the button is disabled.

I don't know how do it without disabling the button.

Could I disable the button when the user click the button and could I enable when the user has download the file?  How?

Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> escribió:
On 7/11/05, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
> If you are not script-averse, the solution to this that I've always used
> is to disable the button client-side before submitting the form.
>
> It's not a perfect solution though, as there is no way to re-submit if a
> problem occurs (i.e., if it hangs for a long time... outright
> server-side errors would still occur as usual of course), but in many
> situations it's fine. Note that PayPal is one example of a major site
> that does this.
>
> Frank

I agree, something like this works pretty well, but you still need to
check for resubmits, if resubmitting must not be allowed at all.

  function SubmitForm(){
    document.getElementById('sub').disabled = true;
    document.forms['msgform'].submit();
    return true;
  }

 [input]  name="param_submit" value="Submit This Form" />

Michael.

---------------------------------

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 7/11/05, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
> If you are not script-averse, the solution to this that I've always used
>   is to disable the button client-side before submitting the form.
>
> It's not a perfect solution though, as there is no way to re-submit if a
> problem occurs (i.e., if it hangs for a long time... outright
> server-side errors would still occur as usual of course), but in many
> situations it's fine.  Note that PayPal is one example of a major site
> that does this.
>
> Frank

I agree, something like this works pretty well, but you still need to
check for resubmits, if resubmitting must not be allowed at all.

<script language="JavaScript">
  function SubmitForm(){
    document.getElementById('sub').disabled = true;
    document.forms['msgform'].submit();
    return true;
  }
</script>

<form action="..." method="post" name="msgform" id="msgform">
  <input id="sub" type="submit" onclick="SubmitForm();"
         name="param_submit" value="Submit This Form"  />
</form>

Michael.

Re: Problem when a click a button that it execute a servlet "n" times

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Mitchell Teixeira wrote:
> I was just reviewing an article which addresses this exact issue!
>
> http://java.sun.com/developer/EJTechTips/2003/tt0114.html
>
> I hope this helps - it doesn't look simple, but neither is your issue!  I
> think the only situation to your issue is from an application point of
> view rather than from Tomcat.
>
> Cheers -
> MitchellT
>

> --- password password <be...@yahoo.es> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>  I have a problem with a button in my jsp page. When I click the button
>>then it excutes a servlet. But if i click two or three or n times it
>>executes a servlet
>> "n" times.
>>
>>How can I do that this button execute only once independent of the
>>number of times that you click the button.
>>
>>Thanks.

>>Correo Yahoo!
>>Comprueba qué es nuevo, aquí
>>http://correo.yahoo.es

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com

Re: Problem when a click a button that it execute a servlet "n" times

Posted by Mitchell Teixeira <te...@yahoo.com>.