Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Aram Mirzadeh <aw...@qosina.com> on 1996/06/23 03:13:30 UTC

WWW Form Bug Report: "remote proxy server with multiple IP addresses not handled properly" on Linux (fwd)

Ack.

brw@tusc.com.au said:
> From nobody@hyperreal.com  Sat Jun 22 10:08:14 1996
> From: brw@tusc.com.au
> To: awm@qosina.com
> Date: Sat Jun 22  7:08:25 1996
> Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "remote proxy server with multiple IP addresses not handled properly" on Linux
>
> Submitter: brw@tusc.com.au
> Operating system: Linux, version: 2.0.0
> Version of Apache Used: 1.1b4
> Extra Modules used: php-2.0b2
> URL exhibiting problem:
>
> Symptoms:
> --
> I tracked it down to host2addr in mod_proxy.c line
> 2209-2211. gethostbyname() can return multiple addresses,
> Unfortunatly one of the addressed returned for the
> remote proxy (a distant firewall) is not accessible
> from my site. The code here always uses only the first
> address found.
>
> Workaround is to set the option like so
>
> ProxyRemote * http://203.2.176.8
>
> I could have a go at fixing this and send patches, but
> it is more than a one line change since it requires
> logic to retry for each address if "Network is Unreachable"
> is returned for a connect attempt.
>
> Anyway, I'm right for now with the workaround.
>
> Thanks for a great server, combined with the php module
> and Postgres95, this is *GREAT*.
>
> --
>
> Backtrace:

- --
Aram Mirzadeh						awm@qosina.com
MIS Manager				      Apache httpd team member
Qosina Corporation				    aram@hyperreal.com
http://www.qosina.com/			    http://www.qosina.com/~awm
PGP Key 			http://www.qosina.com/~awm/pgpkey.html
Key Sig 	      BE 49 9D F6 2A A7 22 FC  02 E9 1E 3D F7 0C 67 A0

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
                -- Dean Martin