Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/09 14:31:56 UTC

[testing][kernel.tests] j.l.Thread test fails on HARMONY-1582

Hi,

While testing HARMONY-1582 (invocation api) it turned out that one
kernel test starts to fail with the following message:

There were 3 failures:
1) testInterrupt_Joining(java.lang.ThreadTest)junit.framework.AssertionFailed
Error: joining thread has not received the InterruptedException
        at java.lang.ThreadTest.testInterrupt_Joining(ThreadTest.java:1367)
        at java.lang.reflect.VMReflection.invokeMethod(Native Method)
2) testInterrupt_Sleeping(java.lang.ThreadTest)junit.framework.AssertionFaile
dError: sleeping thread has not received the InterruptedException
        at java.lang.ThreadTest.testInterrupt_Sleeping(ThreadTest.java:1390)
        at java.lang.reflect.VMReflection.invokeMethod(Native Method)
3) testInterrupt_Waiting(java.lang.ThreadTest)junit.framework.AssertionFailed
Error: waiting thread has not received the InterruptedException
        at java.lang.ThreadTest.testInterrupt_Waiting(ThreadTest.java:1413)
        at java.lang.reflect.VMReflection.invokeMethod(Native Method)

FAILURES!!!
Tests run: 89,  Failures: 3,  Errors: 0

Short investigation shows that test is invalid. Specifically main
thread interrupts another thread and expects InterruptedException will
be thrown while interruptable thread doesn't get to
joining/sleeping/waiting state yet.

Could somebody fix that....

Thanks
Evgueni.

Re: [testing][kernel.tests] j.l.Thread test fails on HARMONY-1582

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.
BTW, it seems Thread.interrupt() doesn't clear thread's interrupt
status as spec states. Could we add such test cases as well....

Evgueni

Posted by Nikolay Kuznetsov <ni...@gmail.com>.
I'm looking into this.

Nik.

Posted by Elena Semukhina <el...@gmail.com>.
Nikolay,

I thought that it was the problem in the test so I volunteered to fix it but
now I see that this is hythread issue so please fix it asap!

BTW, I see a lot of new classlib tests failures related to this bug. I
updated H-1789 with instructions how to reproduce this.

On 10/10/06, Nikolay Kuznetsov <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Elena,
> thanks for the help, the problem discovered by ThreadTest explained in
> HARMONY-1789.
> Are you going to fix the issue or investigate test failures?
>
> Thank you.
>   Nik.
>
> On 10/10/06, Elena Semukhina <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm going to take care of j.l.ThreadTest.
> >
> > On 10/10/06, Nikolay Kuznetsov <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have finished running release build on WinXP, and I have following
> > > tests results:
> > > c_unit tests passed;
> > > smoke tests passed, but I have excluded gc.Los;
> > > kernel tests works with the 98.96 % success rate on all, jitrino.jet,
> > > opt and interpreter. Failing tests are:
> > > j.l.ObjectTest, j.l.RuntimeTest2, j.l.ThreadTest
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > >     Nik.

> far:

> on
> > > than

> > > interrupted

> current
> > > cleared

> that
> > > one

> > > )junit.framework.AssertionFailed

> InterruptedException
> :1367)
> > > Method)
> > > )junit.framework.AssertionFaile

> InterruptedException
> :1390)
> > > Method)
> > > )junit.framework.AssertionFailed

> InterruptedException
> :1413)
> > > Method)

> main
> InterruptedException
> > > will

> > > harmony-dev-help@incubator.apache.org

> > > harmony-dev-help@incubator.apache.org

> > > harmony-dev-help@incubator.apache.org

> harmony-dev-help@incubator.apache.org

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Elena

Elena

Re: [testing][kernel.tests] j.l.Thread test fails on HARMONY-1582

Posted by Nikolay Kuznetsov <ni...@gmail.com>.
Elena,

Posted by Elena Semukhina <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nikolay Kuznetsov <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nikolay Kuznetsov <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nikolay Kuznetsov <ni...@gmail.com>.
I will.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Nikolay Kuznetsov <ni...@gmail.com>.
No it should not, but it is :). Look like there is no synchronization
between setting interrupted flag and checking it, thus one may
interrupt the thread between flag checking and actual wait, I will
raise JIRA issue on this.

Thank you.
   Nik.

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.