Posted to dev@olingo.apache.org by "Klevenz, Stephan" <st...@sap.com> on 2014/05/26 09:00:05 UTC

Re: OData Specification 2.0 vs. 3.0

Anil,

Thanks for clarification. I think Olingo can handle such issues as feature request. We had two issues in the past there one is already implemented.

I had another question. Does the olingo design enable using v2 and v4 using the same producer? Are you carrying the same producer interface to support v4 or are there changes? How compatible do you think the future release of olingo will be with the existing one.

V4 is getting a complete re-design and won't be compatible to V2. But the principle would stay the same and someone has to implement a provider and a data processor. Adapting V2 code to V4 code could be a re-factoring task. Another option would be to implement an V2-V4 adapter. But this is to early to be concrete.

Greetings,
Stephan

From: Anil G <gv...@gmail.com>>
Date: Samstag, 24. Mai 2014 12:32
To: Stephan Klevenz <st...@sap.com>>
Subject: Re: OData Specification 2.0 vs. 3.0

Hi Stephan,

IMO OData v3 was an effort to address little gaps in v2 (which was a very poorly defined spec) - that includes changes in $batch payload format, Edm.Stream typed properties, Enum Types visible differences.

It makes sense to get some of these good things into olingo that supports v2 and still call it odata v2 compliant for it only addresses gaps in v2. I don't think there is going to be a library for odata v3 ever which IMO was just a bridging spec between v2 and v4 that MS created to submit to OASIS. And it only makes it complicated to introduce all new layer in olingo just to call certain things v3 either.

What do you think? :)

I had another question. Does the olingo design enable using v2 and v4 using the same producer? Are you carrying the same producer interface to support v4 or are there changes? How compatible do you think the future release of olingo will be with the existing one.

Thanks & Regards,
Anil

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM, Klevenz, Stephan <st...@sap.com>> wrote:
Hello everybody,

The documentation for OData 2.0 at odata.org<http://odata.org> says in its introduction "This document defines version 1.0, version 2.0, and version 3.0 of the Open Data (OData) protocol.".

Apache Olingo [2] is getting feature requests like [3] where we are not sure if it is about 2.0 or 3.0. The document has introduced 'void' as function import return type. Olingo basically relies on a spec version which was OData 2.0 only.

So, how can someone distinguish between 2.0 and 3.0 features?

I am looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Stephan

[1]  http://www.odata.org/documentation/odata-version-2-0/