Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/08 19:21:42 UTC

update on the Geronimo Plugin Central community site (longish)

I got a lot of great responses when I asked this list for feedback on
Geronimo Plugin Central a few months ago.  Since then I have been
devoting some spare bandwidth towards improving the site.   At this
point I would consider its readiness for the community at large to be
at the "beta" phase and thought you might be interested in taking
another look.  The URL is http://geronimoplugincentral.org/.

Here are some of the recent improvements to the site:
-  Installed new forum software (SMF) which is easier to use and
integrates better
   into the site
-  Installed a much better plugin directory and review system
-  Seeded the site with a few plugins, reviews, and discussion topics.
-  Relocated to a new hosting service that provides better administration and
    response time
-  Several improvements to the site design and organization

As a reminder,  Geronimo Plugin Central (GPIC) is a non-profit
community site for Geronimo plugin users and developers.  It is based
on the highly successful Eclipse Plugin Central which provides a
directory of Eclipse plugins with user reviews and discussion forums.
GPIC plays a complimentary role to Geronimo plugin repositories like
geronimoplugins.com by providing a central hub for the user community
where they can find and rate plugins as well and have discussions
about them.   My own personal goal is for this site to be eventually
governed by the Geronimo PMC, similar to how the Eclipse Foundation
governs Eclipse Plugin Central.  If you're interested in the
background discussion on GPIC see http://tinyurl.com/yaafrl for
starters.

If you would like to get involved with this effort then here are some
areas where help is needed:
-  enhancing (and proofing) the current content on the site
-  adding new content to the site -- discussion topics, new plugins
and reviews, etc.
   there are some more plugins at geronimoplugins.com that I think
should be listed
   if that's allowed
-  administration of the CMS that runs the site (Joomla).  for example
the RSS feed
   currently doesn't work
-  routine moderation of the site contents (user submitted plugins, reviews, and
   discussion topics).
-  improving the site templates for a better look and feel
-  enhance Geronimo's plugin schema to support multiple
versions/locations per plugin.
   this will greatly simplify the plugin download & install process.
-  automation of the site, e.g. adding the ability to import content
from a XML plugin catalog
-  any other improvements you can think of that would make the site better

Looking forward to your feedback and participation in this effort!

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: update on the Geronimo Plugin Central community site (longish)

Posted by ja...@gmail.com.
We can use the new plugin site to pay for stuff? Sweeeeet :-P

--jason

Looks nice Paul...just got back from a trip but I'll pay with it more
later :)

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: update on the Geronimo Plugin Central community site (longish)