Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/09 22:37:33 UTC

[2.x] Java SCA 2.0 next milestones release

I'd like to start some discussion on how we should proceed going
forward with our 2.x Milestones releases aiming to be OASIS spec
compliant

I'd like to propose we alternate short milestones releases between
OASIS and Tuscany specific related items to allow us to better focus
and delivery contents. I'd also think we should have a small scope on
each release milestone (e.g about 5 main items or themes).

Below are some suggestions considering OASIS related items for the
next milestones, please feel free to add to it, and once we agree on a
small set of items/themes, I'll update the roadmap.

- Adjust our Tuscany models and artifact processors to the latest
OASIS Assembly Specification draft

- Review Tuscany Policy models and start necessary clean-up and
adjustment towards a more decoupled model/implementation and support
for the OASIS Policy Specification draft

- Although OASIS Java  Specification draft is still a little behind
compared to others, there might still be some issues that could start
working on such as removing conversations

- Continue review and necessary work on Domain/Node APIs

- Continue with some code clean-up/refactoring as suggested/discussed
in previous threads
   - Java implementation refactoring
   - Endpoint refactoring
   - Remove conversation

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany, Apache PhotArk

Re: [2.x] Java SCA 2.0 next milestones release

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Let me try and summarize this thread  There's a lot to do here so we need
> to find things that people want to do that can happen in parallel. I think
> we logically need an M4. A guide rather than a plan set in concrete.
>
> M2 – Assembly compliance (based on extensions we already have in trunk)
>
>     XSD/API
>
>     Processors
>
>     Assembly compliance tests
>
>     Policy
>
>     Endpoint
>
>     Domain/Node
>
>    + Any other infrastructure fixes we come across required for OASIS
> compliance
>
> M3 – Policy/Extension compliance
>
>   Ws compliance tests
>
>   Java compliance tests
>
>   More policy work  + Policy compliance tests
>
>   More Domain/node work + Assembly compliance tests relating to domain
>
>    Bring in remaining OASIS specific extension on upgraded infrastructure,
> e.g.
>
>          JMS, JEE, BPEL, EJB binding, Spring (is there anything else)
>
>          + compliance tests
>
> M4
>
>    On top of beta compliance bring in any Tuscany specific extensions we
> think we need?
>
> Beta
>
>    Lock down and prep for branch
>
> Simon

Touche Ant! This is just  my summary of this thread. A guide with OASIS
compliance squarely in the frame but not a concrete plan and I would hope
it's treated in that spirit. If someone wants to bring up, say host-webapp,
or whatever much earlier then that's great I'm certainly not going to
complain. In fact webapp would be a good one as users want it and helps get
out sample testing thing complete with this tricky case. Maybe we should add
that explicitly to the list. Anyhow, I'd like us to move on from this
thread. Add the list to the roadmap,  create appropriate JIRAS, adjust as we
see fit as we move forward and declare victory.

Simon

Re: [2.x] Java SCA 2.0 next milestones release

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
I'm starting to look into the draft Policy spec from OASIS. The first thing is to come up a UML model that represents the various concepts in the policy framework. It can be slightly different from the XML syntax. I'll update the progress here on the ML whenever I'm ready.

Thanks,
Raymond

[...]

This is a good idea Luciano.

I would be happy if we set some kind of loose timetable for how this process is going to get us to an OASIS spec compliant  code line by the the middle of the year (or whenever it is we think OASIS will be done by.

As you say some of the specs are more complete that others. As good measure is to look at the compliance statements and test cases. One of the ways we can drive and measure progress is by completion of compliance tests. We need to be able to pass them to demonstrate compliance so developing with them in mind would seem to be a good idea.

What do you mean by short? Monthly? Six weekly? I think it should be down at this sort of order.

I'd like to take a look at the Endpoint re-factoring piece next so I'll vote for that being in M2. There are parts of this that are a pre-req for the Domain piece. I'm also interested in the compliance testing and most of the action is in assembly so far.

Not sure we explicitly have to alternate but I like the idea of themes. Maybe this results in the same thing but I wouldn't want to pre-judge it.

Simon

Re: [2.x] Java SCA 2.0 next milestones release

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Please see my comments inline.
>
> Thanks,
> Raymond

I think we're on similar pages. The contents of M2 is still a bit hazy but i
think thats fine, these are themes not rules so we can work it out as we go
along.  I don't think we should restrict things to only spec defined items
though, there are also other things we do need to do such as the Node story
and webapp integration we need to get done and they're not defined in any
specs, bringing up non OASIS extensions will help verify SPIs, provide
opportunities for people to help and get involved in the 2.x code, and they
provide a easier entry point to learning 2.x than diving right in to
something like implementation.bpel. We've also the results from the user
survey that shows us what people are using so that can help prioritize work.
Agree with that last point, we've the 2.0 draft release notes and 2.x JIRA
lists we've started on the other threads about this to help guide us, if we
keep adding JIRAs as we thing of things then it will help see what needs to
be done

   ...ant

Re: [2.x] Java SCA 2.0 next milestones release

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.