Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christian Bulitta <ch...@marconicomms.com> on 2000/02/22 16:04:19 UTC

Missing Session information using Tomcat with Apache

Hi!

I've configured Tomcat to run as jsp/servlet-engine together with Apache
and mod_jserv.

Tomcat: AJP12-Server on Port 8007
Apache HTTP-Server on Port 8080
Tomcat: HTTP-Server on Port 8090

Nearly everything works fine. Apache passes servlet and jsp-Request to
tomcat.
What does not work fine is passing of session information.

1.
When I call the numberguess-example via apache:
http://nsuews99:8080/examples/jsp/num/numguess.jsp
no session information is kept. I'm always doing my first guess ("You
have made 1/1/1/1... guesses.").

2.
When I call the numberguess-example directly:
http://nsuews99:8090/examples/jsp/num/numguess.jsp
everything works as it should do. I can do as many guesses as I need
("You have made 1/2/3/5/... guesses.").

I set up Netscape to ask me whether to accept cookies. And in the first
case (using apache) a different cookie is set every time. In the second
case only one cookie is set once.

Might this be a lokal problem of mine or a bug? In case it's just a
problem of mine please tell me, so that I can work on it.

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards,
  Christian

Re: Missing Session information using Tomcat with Apache

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
Christian Bulitta wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've configured Tomcat to run as jsp/servlet-engine together with Apache
> and mod_jserv.
>
> Tomcat: AJP12-Server on Port 8007
> Apache HTTP-Server on Port 8080
> Tomcat: HTTP-Server on Port 8090
>
> Nearly everything works fine. Apache passes servlet and jsp-Request to
> tomcat.
> What does not work fine is passing of session information.

You didn't specify any of the versions of Tomcat/jserv/apache that you were
running but there appears to be some serious problems with passing
request/session data through JServ 1.1 to tomcat.  No one has found out what
is causing it as of yet.  I've been searching for an answer but haven't seen
anything in the code of Tomcat that would be doing this.  The JServ folks
say it's a Tomcat problem.

Mike