Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Sander Bos <sa...@x-hive.com> on 2004/03/29 13:34:58 UTC

LSParser::getDomConfig

Hello Xerces,

I was wondering whether there is a roadmap regarding DOM3 in Xerces?
Currently to get DOM3 support you have to build some jars yourself; now
that the specs are (candidate) recommendendations will you soon be
making what are now the DOM3 jars the default jars?

I ask specifically because the current default xercesImpl.jar contains a
org.w3c.dom.ls.LSParser interface class which is not conformant with the
spec, in the sense that getDomConfig returns a Xerces specific object,
of class org.apache.xerces.dom3.DOMConfiguration. Because of this other
applications (like ours) that also implement LS run into problems
because of this incompatible class you include in your default
distribution.
(and your DOM3 jars do not have this problem)

Kind regards,

--Sander.

Re: LSParser::getDomConfig

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Sander Bos wrote:

> Hello Xerces,
>
> I was wondering whether there is a roadmap regarding DOM3 in Xerces?
> Currently to get DOM3 support you have to build some jars yourself; now
> that the specs are (candidate) recommendendations will you soon be
> making what are now the DOM3 jars the default jars?

The plan is to include DOM Level 3 Core and Load/Save as part of the
standard distribution in the next release [1]. We hope we can do this
soon.

> I ask specifically because the current default xercesImpl.jar contains a
> org.w3c.dom.ls.LSParser interface class which is not conformant with the
> spec, in the sense that getDomConfig returns a Xerces specific object,
> of class org.apache.xerces.dom3.DOMConfiguration. Because of this other
> applications (like ours) that also implement LS run into problems
> because of this incompatible class you include in your default
> distribution.
> (and your DOM3 jars do not have this problem)

The org.apache.xerces.dom3 package is a hack. Since we still distribute
DOM Level 2 Core, this package allows DOM Level 3 Core to coexist with it.
When you build the DOM Level 3 distribution, the Ant script will replace
all imports of org.apache.xerces.dom3 with org.w3c.dom. This hack should
be gone soon.

[1] http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-xerces/java/Xerces2.7.0-REL_PLAN.html?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.2