Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> on 2016/05/25 06:44:36 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Spark 2.0.0-preview release

In the past the Spark community have created preview packages (not official
releases) and used those as opportunities to ask community members to test
the upcoming versions of Apache Spark. Several people in the Apache
community have suggested we conduct votes for these preview packages and
turn them into formal releases by the Apache foundation's standard. This is
a result of that.

Note that this preview release should contain almost all the new features
that will be in Apache Spark 2.0.0. However, it is not meant to be
functional, i.e. the preview release contain critical bugs and
documentation errors. To download, please see the bottom of this web page:
http://spark.apache.org/downloads.html

For the list of known issues, please see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-15520?jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20%22Target%20Version%2Fs%22%20%3D%202.0.0

Note 1: The current download link goes directly to dist.apache.org. Once
all the files are propagated to all mirrors, I will update the link to link
to the mirror selector instead.

Note 2: This is the first time we are publishing official, voted preview
releases. Would love to hear feedback.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Spark 2.0.0-preview release

Posted by Marcin Tustin <mt...@handybook.com>.
The use case of docker images in general is that you can deploy and develop
with exactly the same binary environment - same java 8, same scala, same
spark. This makes things repeatable.

--
Want to work at Handy? Check out our culture deck and open roles
<http://www.handy.com/careers>

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Spark 2.0.0-preview release

Posted by Gurvinder Singh <gu...@uninett.no>.
On 05/26/2016 02:38 AM, Matei Zaharia wrote:
> Just wondering, what is the main use case for the Docker images -- to
> develop apps locally or to deploy a cluster?
I use docker images for both development and deploying on production
cluster. As it makes sure I have the correct version of Java and Spark.
If the image is really just
> a script to download a certain package name from a mirror, it may be
> okay to create an official one, though it does seem tricky to make it
> properly use the right mirror.
I don't think that's an issue, as you will publish a docker image which
will already have spark baked from which ever mirror you choose. The
mirror issue will be only when people want to build their own image from
published Dockerfile, then they can change the mirror if they prefer.

Here is the link to current Spark Dockerfile
(https://gist.github.com/gurvindersingh/8308d46995a58303b90e4bc2fc46e343)
I use as base, then I can start master and worker from it as I like.

- Gurvinder

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Marcin Tustin <mt...@handybook.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcin Tustin <mt...@handybook.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
I still don't see any artifacts in maven -- did it publish?

http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Cg%3A%22org.apache.spark%22

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
The maven artifacts can be found at

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1182/

But really for people on this list, it might be better to go straight to
the nightly snapshots.
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/spark/

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Daniel Darabos <da...@lynxanalytics.com>.