Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/04/24 15:58:48 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Apache OpenOffice 3.4 community campaign

It is late for this idea, since we are probably only a week away from
release AOO 3.4.  But I think it is important to connect the dots on
this.  Is anyone willing to help with this over the next few days?

I'd like to have a page on the website to help enthusiastic OpenOffice
users help us share the good news about Apache OpenOffice 3.4.   It
would enable the individual blogger, or even a user who is an active
social networking user, to help spread the news about the AOO 3.4
release.

As we know, enthusiasm is not always matched by time-to-spare,
graphical skill, or deep knowledge about what is in the 3.4 release.
So putting this kind of information together, in one place, where it
is easy to consume and reuse, will be wonderful.

Ideally, the page would have the following kind of content:

1) An AOO 3.4 "download" logo, that a blogger can use to link to
download.openoffice.org.  We have some proposed icons (from Drew)
here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Logo+Proposals

Maybe we can agree on one of these and get some common sizes rendered.
We probably need translations as well.

2) A short description of what Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is, from
perspective of a brand new user.  A paragraph or two, with some screen
shots.  Something a blogger can reuse or adapt. Again, we'll need
translations as well.

3) A short description of what is new in Apache OpenOffice 3.4, from
perspective of an existing OOo users.  Again, screen shots, and
translations.  No one has time to do original research.  Best to have
the basic facts already written up and allow the blogger to reuse the
information and add their own color commentary.

4) Some interesting factoids about how AOO 3,4 was made. Maybe touch
on the new hosting of extensions/templates, # of lines of code
changed, the change to Apache license, etc.  What are the "fun facts"?

5) Any YouTube videos we want to link to?

6) A contact where they can go for more information.  Probably ooo-dev.

7) Anything else?

Note that this is almost like a press kit or a  reviewers guide, but
targeting community supporters of AOO rather than accredited
journalists.  But a similar idea. Respect that they don't have time to
dig this information out of a dozen places in our wiki.  If we want it
to happen, we need to make it easy for them.

So who's in with this?  We don't have time to debate this for a week.
But if 2 or 3 others are willing to help, starting today, on these
items, then I think we can pull it off.  Maybe get it all done, in
English, targeting end of week, and then work on translations early
next week?

-Rob

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache OpenOffice 3.4 community campaign

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/4/25 drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>

> [...]
> > > dig this information out of a dozen places in our wiki.  If we want it
> > > to happen, we need to make it easy for them.
> > >
> > > So who's in with this?  We don't have time to debate this for a week.
> > > But if 2 or 3 others are willing to help, starting today, on these
> > > items, then I think we can pull it off.  Maybe get it all done, in
> > > English, targeting end of week, and then work on translations early
> > > next week?
> > >
> > > -Rob
> > >

> > I and Claudio are thinking in reactivate the domain openoffice.org.brfor
> > infos AOO etc, in pt-BR.
> >
> > I had all of this idea that you had now.
> >
> > Best,
>
> Hi Albino
>
> I'm just curious - what do you feel you can do with openoffice.org.br
> that you could not do with openoffice.apahce.org/br, for instance?

Suggestion, ok.

Many ideas are around. :-)

> Thanks for you time on that,
>
> //drew

Tks,
Albino @bino28

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache OpenOffice 3.4 community campaign

Posted by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

2012/4/25 drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>:
> I'm just curious - what do you feel you can do with openoffice.org.br
> that you could not do with openoffice.apahce.org/br, for instance?

Drew, when we had BrOffice.org/OpenOffice.org.br over our
infrastructure, we did a social network page where we had:
* news - a clipping service about OOo/BrOo/ODF in Brasil and around
the world, translated for pt-BR for our users;
* incubation - for new small and localized projects, like our
spellchecker, thesaurus, templates for brazilian general  documents,
etc. In final of BrOffice, we had ~10 incubated projects (that for us
are *BIG* projects);
* User group - I developed a different way to promote Broo/OOo here,
with a logic to promote the opensource and our product;
* wiki - for general things.

Looking from a promotion/marketing vision, using a CMS like Drupal, we
learned a lot how is possible use the social net for present and
involve new users and volunteers. In transition for LibO, was more a
lot of good things (to do and not) looking this strategy.

But returning for your question, what i can do that not in apache
infra? I can install a CMS, with a different focus (more sellable),
that edit text files arround a VCS. This way, (IMHO) effectively isn't
a good way to receive contribution from
communication/publicity/grafical volunteers.

But one thing that i think with my self, was if our strategy was
considered waste for some there (libo), why we got ~10M of users? My
R$ 0,02....

Best,
Claudio

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache OpenOffice 3.4 community campaign

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> 7) Anything else?
>>>
>>> Note that this is almost like a press kit or a  reviewers guide, but
>>> targeting community supporters of AOO rather than accredited
>>> journalists.  But a similar idea. Respect that they don't have time to
>>> dig this information out of a dozen places in our wiki.  If we want it
>>> to happen, we need to make it easy for them.
>>>
>>> So who's in with this?  We don't have time to debate this for a week.
>>> But if 2 or 3 others are willing to help, starting today, on these
>>> items, then I think we can pull it off.  Maybe get it all done, in
>>> English, targeting end of week, and then work on translations early
>>> next week?
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>

> This is a good idea.
>
> I like to reference the 'why' pages which has a lot of really good
> information. Although not updated for Apache OO 3.4 yet.

OK.  I updated that for AOO 3.4 branding and for other things that
have changed, like the license.

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
> [...]
>>>
>>> 7) Anything else?
>>>
>>> Note that this is almost like a press kit or a  reviewers guide, but
>>> targeting community supporters of AOO rather than accredited
>>> journalists.  But a similar idea. Respect that they don't have time to
>>> dig this information out of a dozen places in our wiki.  If we want it
>>> to happen, we need to make it easy for them.
>>>
>>> So who's in with this?  We don't have time to debate this for a week.
>>> But if 2 or 3 others are willing to help, starting today, on these
>>> items, then I think we can pull it off.  Maybe get it all done, in
>>> English, targeting end of week, and then work on translations early
>>> next week?
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>

> This is a good idea.
>
> I like to reference the 'why' pages which has a lot of really good
> information. Although not updated for Apache OO 3.4 yet.

That is an important page.  The data from Google Analytics shows that
it is the 2nd most visited link on our home page.  (The download link
is the most popular).

-Rob

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> I might get our creative marketing guys to help to craft some
> material, but I definitely need someone to tell us what's hot.

That would be great. If you need some inspiration, this thread
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel/12460
will put you on the right track. In general, the release notes in their
current state probably do not give the right recognition to the
improvements in OOo 3.4 beta (April 2011).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache OpenOffice 3.4 community campaign

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>> the basic facts already written up and allow the blogger to reuse the
>>> information and add their own color commentary.
>>
>> I might get our creative marketing guys to help to craft some
>> material, but I definitely need someone to tell us what's hot. I
>> believe we can provide especially OpenOffice.org Windows users with
>> good reasons to switch to the new release, right?
>>

> I'd start with the release notes on the wiki:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Release+Notes
>
> That has the plain facts.
>
>>> 4) Some interesting factoids about how AOO 3,4 was made. Maybe touch
>>> on the new hosting of extensions/templates, # of lines of code
>>> changed, the change to Apache license, etc.  What are the "fun facts"?
>>
>> About Extensions/Templates I'll write a blog entry at our SourceForge
>> blog, so that you can grab some text or point to it.

Here we go, now live: http://goo.gl/5gi5n

Roberto

--
====

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache OpenOffice 3.4 community campaign

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 16:03 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> >> It is late for this idea, since we are probably only a week away from
> >> release AOO 3.4.  But I think it is important to connect the dots on
> >> this.  Is anyone willing to help with this over the next few days?
> >>
> >> I'd like to have a page on the website to help enthusiastic OpenOffice
> >> users help us share the good news about Apache OpenOffice 3.4.   It
> >> would enable the individual blogger, or even a user who is an active
> >> social networking user, to help spread the news about the AOO 3.4
> >> release.
> >>
> >> As we know, enthusiasm is not always matched by time-to-spare,
> >> graphical skill, or deep knowledge about what is in the 3.4 release.
> >> So putting this kind of information together, in one place, where it
> >> is easy to consume and reuse, will be wonderful.
> >>
> >> Ideally, the page would have the following kind of content:
> >>
> >> 1) An AOO 3.4 "download" logo, that a blogger can use to link to
> >> download.openoffice.org.  We have some proposed icons (from Drew)
> >> here:
> >>
> >> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Logo+Proposals
> >
> > Is there any consensus around which one to use, but for the download one?
> >

> There are two logos there that are appropriate, the "download" and the
> "get it here" ones.   Personally I think the "get it here" one would
> work better.  The other one has the word "download" tightly
> constrained under that arc of dots.  I think that would make it hard
> to translate for languages that require a longer word to say
> "download".
>
> What do you think?

Ether way - the svg is handy for either, so a little nudge for room is
simple enough.

I like the get it here more, personally.

//drew

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

====

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Juergen Schmidt
<jo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> targeting community supporters of AOO rather than accredited
>> journalists. But a similar idea. Respect that they don't have time to
>> dig this information out of a dozen places in our wiki. If we want it
>> to happen, we need to make it easy for them.
>>
>> So who's in with this? We don't have time to debate this for a week.
>> But if 2 or 3 others are willing to help, starting today, on these
>> items, then I think we can pull it off. Maybe get it all done, in
>> English, targeting end of week, and then work on translations early
>> next week?
>>
> Hi Rob,
>
> great idea and I will try my best to help but I have to travel back to Germany this week and my time will be limited.
> I will already have problems to  trigger the IPMC vote in time ;-) Ok hopefully no problem here but I will definitely benefit from the outcome...

OK.  Is there a particular part of this you wanted to work on?

-Rob

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

====