Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2004/04/14 19:44:36 UTC

Re: Rules to match ASes

Posted by David Cantrell <da...@cantrell.org.uk>.
Justin Mason wrote:
> David Cantrell writes:
>>I already block mail from a rather large number of IPs before mail even
>>reaches spamassassin, but have recently been thinking about blocking
>>ASes instead of IPs.
 >>
>>I found this:
>>  http://zgp.org/linux-elitists/20040119143450.GF10939@ix.netcom.com.html
>>which gives a bit of background info on why this might be useful, and
>>ways of getting at the necessary data.
> It does look very interesting.  I'd be keen to see results ;)

Analysing a few hours worth of spam (from before I started aggressively
filtering by IP) with a hokey shell script spits out lots of Chinese and
Korean ASes, plus Roadrunner, SBC, PSINET, Rogers Cable, Verio - the
usual suspects.  My script was too crude to produce reliable numbers.

> I wonder what we could use this for -- Bayes tokens?

I am very conservative about my mail handling, and I don't think I trust
Bayes enough for this yet.  When Bayes misclassifies as spam stuff from
a message body the damage is minor.  If Bayes misclassified an AS, mail
from huge chunks of the internet could be affected, regardless of
content.  Which would be bad.

    Educating this luser would be something to frustrate even the
    unflappable Yoda and make him jam a lightsaber up his arse
    while screaming "praise evil, the Dark Side is your friend!".
                               -- Derek Balling, in the Monastery

Re: Rules to match ASes

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com> writes:

> I noticed that in the article he says that he did not check ham
> percentages. It's hard to evaluate it just on the basis of spam hits
> without any S/O numbers.

It also might be a more interesting technique for SBL (if they're not
already doing it) than for us.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan                     anti-spam (SpamAssassin), Linux,
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/    and open source consulting

Re: Rules to match ASes

Posted by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com>.
Justin Mason wrote:
> It does look very interesting. I'd be keen to see results ;)

I noticed that in the article he says that he did not check ham
percentages. It's hard to evaluate it just on the basis of spam hits
without any S/O numbers.

  -- sidney