Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk> on 2000/01/23 19:30:51 UTC

anon CVS not working?

ben@scuzzy:~/work$ runsocks cvs -d
:pserver:anoncvs@xml.apache.org:/home/cvspublic co xml-cocoon
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `cvs: setgroups: Operation
not permitted' from cvs server
protocol error: directory '/home/cvs/xml-cocoon' not within root
'/home/cvspublic'

Setting the root to /home/cvs doesn't help either. Is this the right
tree to check out to be playing with XSP stuff, btw?

Cheers,

Ben.

http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

Y19100 no-prize winner!
http://www.ntk.net/index.cgi?back=2000/now0121.txt

Re: anon CVS not working?

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
> > > Since what it is complaining about is largely true:
> > >
> > > [locus] 8:16am ~ > ls -l /home/cvspublic/xml-cocoon
> > > 0 lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  20 Nov 28 16:27 /home/cvspublic/xml-cocoon@
> > > -> /home/cvs/xml-cocoon
> >
> > It's not a problem with the symlink, that's for sure...
>
> Well, it is, actually, in the sense that it upsets CVS.

I tried it with almos any version of the CVS client and it never gave me
any error... W.T.F.... I'll try it again... Probably the permissions on
the files are not "right" :(

> > > I'm guessing this is a CVS version issue, but is it a bug? I seem to be
> > > running:
> > >
> > > ben@scuzzy:~/work$ cvs --version
> > >
> > > Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10 `Halibut' (client/server)
> >
> > [pier@kali:ttyp0]~ $ cvs --version
> >
> > Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10.7 (client/server)
> >
> > I really don't understand.... :( :(
>
> But you will... I'm now running 1.10.8, and it works! Woo!

I'll make some tests with the old 1.10 cvs and see exactly what
happens... Thank you for the info...

	Pier
<ma...@betaversion.org>    <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

Re: anon CVS not working?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: anon CVS not working?

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
> >
> > Ben Laurie wrote:
> > >
> > > ben@scuzzy:~/work$ runsocks cvs -d
> > > :pserver:anoncvs@xml.apache.org:/home/cvspublic co xml-cocoon
> > > cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `cvs: setgroups: Operation
> > > not permitted' from cvs server
> > > protocol error: directory '/home/cvs/xml-cocoon' not within root
> > > '/home/cvspublic'
> > >
> > > Setting the root to /home/cvs doesn't help either. Is this the right
> > > tree to check out to be playing with XSP stuff, btw?
> >
> > Try this:
> >
> > > [pier@kali:ttyp0]~ $ CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@xml.apache.org /home/cvspublic
> > > [pier@kali:ttyp0]~ $ cvs login
> > > (Logging in to anoncvs@xml.apache.org)
> > > CVS password: anoncvs
> > > [pier@kali:ttyp0]~ $ cvs checkout xml-cocoon
> > > cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `cvs: setgroups: Operation not permitted' from cvs server
> > > cvs server: Updating xml-cocoon
> > > U xml-cocoon/LICENSE
> > > U xml-cocoon/README
> > > [...]
> >
> > And it works....
>
> I dunno what shell you are running, but my shell, as I expected, won't
> chew this at all:
>
> ben@scuzzy:~/work$ CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@xml.apache.org
> /home/cvspublic
> bash: /home/cvspublic: No such file or directory

Uh... Sorry... There was a ":" between ".org" and "/home" (I'm using
BASH!)

Re: anon CVS not working?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: anon CVS not working?

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Ben Laurie wrote:

> ben@scuzzy:~/work$ runsocks cvs -d
> :pserver:anoncvs@xml.apache.org:/home/cvspublic co xml-cocoon
> cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `cvs: setgroups: Operation
> not permitted' from cvs server
> protocol error: directory '/home/cvs/xml-cocoon' not within root
> '/home/cvspublic'
>
> Setting the root to /home/cvs doesn't help either. Is this the right
> tree to check out to be playing with XSP stuff, btw?

Try this:

> [pier@kali:ttyp0]~ $ CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@xml.apache.org /home/cvspublic
> [pier@kali:ttyp0]~ $ cvs login
> (Logging in to anoncvs@xml.apache.org)
> CVS password: anoncvs
> [pier@kali:ttyp0]~ $ cvs checkout xml-cocoon
> cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `cvs: setgroups: Operation not permitted' from cvs server
> cvs server: Updating xml-cocoon
> U xml-cocoon/LICENSE
> U xml-cocoon/README
> [...]