Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/01 02:36:15 UTC

Redistributing modified MIT licensed code (JavaScript library)

Hi,

the OpenMeetings project would like to redistribute the jQuery Plugin
"Fullcalendar":
http://arshaw.com/fullcalendar/

As part of its distribution. Which itself should not be a problem:
http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#category-a

But we also might need to modify some of the source code to fit our needs.

Are we allowed to do that?
Are there changes to NOTES files needed when we do that ?

I've somebody knows an answer to that or pointers to the FAQ where this
would be covered, I would much appreciate.
But I think the FAQ don't cover that topic yet.

Thanks,
Sebastian
--
Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock

Re: Redistributing modified MIT licensed code (JavaScript library)

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 31, 2013, at 5:49 PM, Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> The MIT license is very permissive, and allows you (us) to modify and sublicense etc etc with the only restriction being the NOTICE requirement. There is no reciprocity requirement for the MIT license so change it as you see fit.
>
> So imho as long as you properly identify the code and its license in the project NOTICE and LICENSE files of the distribution you are fine.

Agreed. Sebastian, as noted in the url you included, category A licenses are approved in both binary *and* source form.

--kevan

Re: Redistributing modified MIT licensed code (JavaScript library)

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Sebastian,

The MIT license is very permissive, and allows you (us) to modify and sublicense etc etc with the only restriction being the NOTICE requirement. There is no reciprocity requirement for the MIT license so change it as you see fit.

So imho as long as you properly identify the code and its license in the project NOTICE and LICENSE files of the distribution you are fine.

Craig

On Jul 31, 2013, at 5:36 PM, seba.wagner@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the OpenMeetings project would like to redistribute the jQuery Plugin "Fullcalendar":
> http://arshaw.com/fullcalendar/
>
> As part of its distribution. Which itself should not be a problem:
> http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#category-a
>
> But we also might need to modify some of the source code to fit our needs.
>
> Are we allowed to do that?
> Are there changes to NOTES files needed when we do that ?
>
> I've somebody knows an answer to that or pointers to the FAQ where this would be covered, I would much appreciate.
> But I think the FAQ don't cover that topic yet.
>
> Thanks,
> Sebastian
> --
> Sebastian Wagner
> https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock
> http://www.webbase-design.de
> http://www.wagner-sebastian.com
> seba.wagner@gmail.com

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Redistributing modified MIT licensed code (JavaScript library)

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
I actively talk with Sebastien (the author of wicket-jquery-ui).
His project consist of different parts with different licences (for example
Kendo* plugins are GPLv3 licensed)
I only took parts licenced under compitible licenses.

I can write him a letter to add NOTICE, should I?

For the changes to the FullCalendar I would:
1) read the documentation (it has 'ignoretimezone' option which might help
2) take a look at the current issues, for ex. this one
https://github.com/arshaw/fullcalendar/pull/92
3) propose the patch to the author
4) hacking ourselves :)

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM, seba.wagner@gmail.com <seba.wagner@gmail.com

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Redistributing modified MIT licensed code (JavaScript library)

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Sebastian!

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Redistributing modified MIT licensed code (JavaScript library)

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Sebastian,