Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2006/07/31 00:21:52 UTC

Reminder: JAMES 2.3 Release Candidate is Available

Folks,

Just a reminder that a Release Candidate for JAMES v2.3 is available.  So
far this build is looking very solid.  I believe that most JAMES committers
already have it in production.  We'd love to have feedback from more of you
as soon as possible.

Compared to JAMES v2.2, JAMES v2.3 is a *MAJOR* new release, with MANY
improvements in performance, stablity and functionality.

But wait, you ask, then why does this major update receive only a .1 change?
The reason for that is that, although we have not entirely succeeded, we're
trying to follow the policy of reserving the left side of the decimal point
for INCOMPATIBLE changes.  For example, one of the planned changes for JAMES
v3 impacts the database schema, which would not be compatible with JAMES v2.
In the case of JAMES v2.3, only the configuration files should require much
attention from the Mail Administrator.

And we are already planning JAMES v2.4, with additional improvements, such
as SPF support.  Your feedback will be valuable as we plan these releases.
For example, the goal for JAMES v2.4 would be to provide only low-risk,
high-value, improvements over JAMES v2.3.  Do you want us to adopt any
different policy for inclusion?

And, yes, JAMES v3 and later versions are already being planned, as noted
above.

	--- Noel