Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net> on 2002/08/15 16:30:09 UTC

Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon

Hi All,

	Hope all is well.

	Over the past couple of days I've been working on adding the
	ability for a Cocoon application to serve SOAP requests.

	The motivation for this work came from:

	o The need to share business logic data with other projects, ie.
	  B2B communcation.

	o The desire to build an administration application and remotely query
	  a live system about its status.

	Instead of building a second server into our application (ie. RMI,
	CORBA, etc), I thought it might be better to use SOAP for this for
	several reasons, mainly since servlet based Cocoon applications are
	really HTTP oriented servers anyway.

	The code adding this functionality is in bugzilla, #11728.

	My hope is that this feature is of use for others too.

	Essentially, I took the RPCRouterServlet from the Apache SOAP
	project and ported it to Cocoon as a Reader, which in effect
	allows you to register SOAP services within your Cocoon app, and
	serve data to other clients.

	The reader can be configured in the sitemap as follows:

<!-- Defines a SOAP RPC reader that will serve SOAP requests via HTTP-POST.

     'managed-services' defines a list of Apache SOAP deployment descriptors
     that will be automatically deployed at startup and undeployed at
     shutdown of this reader.
 -->
<map:reader logger="sitemap.reader.soap-rpc" name="soap-rpc"
            src="org.apache.cocoon.reading.SoapRPCReader">
 <managed-services>
  <descriptor src="resource://org/apache/cocoon/components/soap/services/memory/DeploymentDescriptor.xml"/>
 </managed-services>
</map:reader>

	Consult the javadocs for the full option set which includes the
	ability to set an EnvelopeEditorFactory, and custom SOAP server xml
	config file.

	The pipeline match is quite simple like most readers:

<!-- Match SOAP RPC Router requests -->
<map:match pattern="rpcrouter">
 <map:read type="soap-rpc" mime-type="text/xml"/>
</map:match>

	With these 2 sections added to your sitemap, you can then make
	HTTP-POST queries to the above pipeline to deploy, list, invoke or
	undeploy particular SOAP services from your Cocoon app. The
	ServiceManagerClient class that comes with Apache SOAP is quite
	useful for this.

	I've included an example service with my patch which allows a
	remote client to query the amount of free & total memory the remote
	Cocoon app currently has, and also allows a client to invoke the
	garbage collector on the remote application.

	For those interested have a look at the class and deployment
	descriptor in the o/a/c/components/soap/services/memory directory,
	and the	webapps/samples/soap directory.

	The SoapRPCReader also adds the Cocoon request, response, context
	and ComponentManager to the SOAP request context, which means it's
	possible for your SOAP services to access any avalon components you may
	have written, and also session data that may be relevant for the
	particular request. Have a look at the
	o/a/c/components/soap/services/template directory for an example of
	this.

	Normal SOAP services (ie. cocoon independant) can also be deployed,
	including those implemented in other languages via BSF support. The
	Apache SOAP documentation describes how this can be done.

	The reader itself requires the presence of the Apache SOAP jar
	(2.3.1 used during development), and the SUN activation and
	javamail jar. I've modified the build.xml so that the reader and
	associated services are only built if these libraries are present.

	I'm now looking at the various statistical & administration
	information we might like to provide from Cocoon, hopefully in
	combination with the instrumentation interfaces from Excalibur.

	Ok, so I hope its of use for more people that just me, if there's any
	questions, comments, feel free to ask.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi All,

	Have just checked everything into HEAD. If there's any problems
	please let me know and I'll fix them immediately.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 10:19:05PM +0200, Giacomo Pati wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > 	The reader itself requires the presence of the Apache SOAP jar
> > > 	(2.3.1 used during development), and the SUN activation and
> > > 	javamail jar. I've modified the build.xml so that the reader and
> > > 	associated services are only built if these libraries are present.
> > >
> > > 	I'm now looking at the various statistical & administration
> > > 	information we might like to provide from Cocoon, hopefully in
> > > 	combination with the instrumentation interfaces from Excalibur.
> > >
> > > 	Ok, so I hope its of use for more people that just me, if there's any
> > > 	questions, comments, feel free to ask.
> > >
> > > 	Cheers,
> > >
> > > 	Marcus
> > >
> > > --
> > >      ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
> > >     ;$'      '$$$$:    Computer Systems Engineer
> > >     $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
> > >      $       o_)$$$:   82-84 Mainzer Landstrasse
> > >      ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday 04 September 2002 05:15 pm, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
> committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)
>
> Cast your votes, folks.

+1, I thought he already had the karma!
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> +1 from me too!
>
> Ovidiu
>
> On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 03:14 PM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
> > Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> >> +1
> >

> > +1
> >
> > Cheers, Marcus!

I think a SOAP4Cocoon will be a good extention. Personally I don't
like SOAP, but so what! ;-)

My +1, welcome Marcus.

Stephan Michels.

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.
+1 from me too!

Ovidiu

On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 03:14 PM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>>> Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
>>>
>>> I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
>>> long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
>>> committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)
>>>
>>> Cast your votes, folks.
>>>
>>> Here's my +1.
>>

>> +1
>

> +1
>
> Cheers, Marcus!
>

> Vadim
>

>> I was thinking the same thing, he's been round for so long :-)

Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>
http://webweavertech.com/ovidiu/weblog/ (Weblog)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/7464/ (Apache, GNU,
Emacs ...)

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> > Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> >> Awesome work, Marcus, but can you post the ComposerReader?
> >>
> >> Anybody else but me finds this should make its way into HEAD?
> >
> > Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
> >
> > I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> > long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
> > committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)
> >
> > Cast your votes, folks.
> >
> > Here's my +1.
>
> +1
>
> I was thinking the same thing, he's been round for so long :-)

+1
--David

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by tc...@dff.st.
Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> > Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> >> Awesome work, Marcus, but can you post the ComposerReader?
> >>
> >> Anybody else but me finds this should make its way into HEAD?
> >>

> > Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
> >
> > I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> > long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
> > committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)
> >
> > Cast your votes, folks.
> >
> > Here's my +1.
>
> +1
>
> I was thinking the same thing, he's been round for so long :-)

+1

gratulations, mate :-)
--
Torsten

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
>> Awesome work, Marcus, but can you post the ComposerReader?
>>
>> Anybody else but me finds this should make its way into HEAD?
>>

> Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
>
> I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
> committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)
>
> Cast your votes, folks.
>
> Here's my +1.

+1

I was thinking the same thing, he's been round for so long :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Stephan,

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 03:22:37PM +0200, Stephan Michels wrote:

> Try
>
> cvs -d:ext:crafterm@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs checkout xml-cocoon2

	Thanks for your mail.

	I gave it a try, but got the same error message below. I think it
	must be the group problem, or something else preventing the lock
	file from being created.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

> Stephan.
>
> > cvs server: Updating xml-cocoon2
> > cvs server: failed to create lock directory for /home/cvs/xml-cocoon2'
> > (/home/cvs/xml-cocoon2/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
> > cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository /home/cvs/xml-cocoon2'
> > cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Marcus Crafter wrote:
> 	Thanks for that! Much appreciated. Do I also need to be added to the
> 	group 'xml' on cvs.apache.org ?

Yes indeed, sorry about that, done.

	Brian

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Brian,

	Thanks for that! Much appreciated. Do I also need to be added to the
	group 'xml' on cvs.apache.org ?

	I'm receiving the following error upon trying to check xml-cocoon2
	out:

$> cvs -d crafterm@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs checkout xml-cocoon2
cvs server: Updating xml-cocoon2
cvs server: failed to create lock directory for /home/cvs/xml-cocoon2'
(/home/cvs/xml-cocoon2/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository /home/cvs/xml-cocoon2'
cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

	The same command with jakarta-avalon works fine. The only
	difference being I'm in the 'jakarta' group, but not 'xml'.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 01:47:53PM -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Commit privs granted.
>
> 	Brian
>
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> > Marcus Crafter wrote:
> >
> > >Hi All,
> > >
> > >	Wow, thanks everyone for the vote of confidence! I'd be honoured to
> > >	join the committer team. :)
> > >
> > >	What do I have to do to proceed ?
> > >

> > You just have to wait for root giving you the appropriate karma ;-)
> >
> > Dear root,
> >
> > Marcus Crafter has been voted as Cocoon committer by 13 positive votes
> > and zero negative one (see
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=103117425400003&r=1&w=2)
> >
> > Would you please give him the appropriate Cocoon karma ? He's already an
> > Avalon committer and his user id is "crafterm".
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sylvain

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
>> Commit privs granted.
>>

> Welcome aboard, Marcus "The Quick" Crafter ;)
>

> I think that was the fastest vote.

And the longest to come round ;-)

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 08:41:50AM +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Welcome aboard, Marcus,
Congrats Marcus! (we always communicate by email ;-)

> now you can help Michael directly :)
Well...you can never have too many friends on the "inside"!!

Regards,
Michael Melhem

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Welcome Marcus :)

Giacomo

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Welcome aboard, Marcus,

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
Commit privs granted.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

--
Sylvain Wallez

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi All,

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 11:15:09PM +0200, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> >Awesome work, Marcus, but can you post the ComposerReader?
> >
> >Anybody else but me finds this should make its way into HEAD?
> >

> Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
>
> I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
> committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)
>
> Cast your votes, folks.
>
> Here's my +1.
>
> Sylvain
>
> --
> Sylvain Wallez
> Anyware Technologies                  Apache Cocoon
> http://www.anyware-tech.com           mailto:sylvain@apache.org

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
>
> I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
> committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)

Strong +1, and welcome aboard!

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> >Awesome work, Marcus, but can you post the ComposerReader?
> >
> >Anybody else but me finds this should make its way into HEAD?
> >

> Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
>
> I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon

+1

I spoke to myself when I've written cited mail above that if this
contribution will be accepted I propose him committer to let him do the
integration work :) because I cannot remember when he joined Cocoon list
(must be years now) and he really has contributed alot with ideas,
suggestions, critiques and code.

> committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)

:) Must be a mail template

Giacomo

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> >Awesome work, Marcus, but can you post the ComposerReader?
> >
> >Anybody else but me finds this should make its way into HEAD?
> >

> Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
>
> I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
> committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)
>
> Cast your votes, folks.
>
> Here's my +1.

+1 from here, too.

Carsten

RE: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Marcus Crafter is a resourceful developer, and he has come up
with a number of good ideas in Avalon land.  I say +1.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi All,

> [...]

> 	The reader itself requires the presence of the Apache SOAP jar
> 	(2.3.1 used during development), and the SUN activation and
> 	javamail jar. I've modified the build.xml so that the reader and
> 	associated services are only built if these libraries are present.
>
> 	I'm now looking at the various statistical & administration
> 	information we might like to provide from Cocoon, hopefully in
> 	combination with the instrumentation interfaces from Excalibur.
>
> 	Ok, so I hope its of use for more people that just me, if there's any
> 	questions, comments, feel free to ask.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Marcus

>      ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
>     ;$'      '$$$$:    Computer Systems Engineer
>     $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
>      $       o_)$$$:   82-84 Mainzer Landstrasse
>      ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: