Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be> on 2009/02/12 18:31:29 UTC

[DISCUSS] Separate JIRA project(s) for Components

L.S.,

If we look at the ServiceMix 3 JIRA project, the list of releases in
there is getting very long and very hard to work with.  I know we
discussed this before, but I really think it makes sense to make a
separate JIRA project or projects for the components now.

One solution would be to create a single JIRA project for all the
components.  Because we can release components independently, the
version numbers on the components will be going out of sync.  One way to
handle this, is by using the same versioning scheme as we are using now
in SMX3, e.g. servicemix-ftp-2008.01 for version 2008.01 of
servicemix-ftp.  On the other hand, we could also just create plain
version numbers like 2009.01 and then keeping the release open in JIRA
until all components have reached that version.

The other way to get passed this would be to create a JIRA project per
component.  This way, we could use versions in JIRA just as we are used
to, but the overhead of setting this up would be quite big.

Which solution would people prefer?  Are there any other suggestions for
solving this?

Regards,

Gert

Re: [DISCUSS] Separate JIRA project(s) for Components

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I would go for one JIRA project and the current versionning scheme for
now, but this is not a strong opinion.  I guess we can always split
things if needed later (especially if the number of components grow).

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [DISCUSS] Separate JIRA project(s) for Components

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks to you Gert (I have done quite nothing :)).

Regards
JB

On Sunday 15 February 2009 - 10:08, Gert Vanthienen wrote:

> L.S.,
>
> A separate JIRA project has been set up and components issues have been
> moved to https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/SMXCOMP.  The 2008.01 and
> 2009.01 versions have been removed from our main ServiceMix JIRA, so we have
> a more manageable list of versions there now as well.
>
> Thanks to Lars and Jean-Baptiste for helping me to get all the issues moved
> over the weekend!
>
> Gert
>

> Gert Vanthienen wrote:
> >
> > Guillaume,
> >
> > Creating the release notes wouldn't be a real problem, I think.  We're
> > not doing this every week and we can always filter for a list of issues
> > being solved for one specific component and one specific version and
> > export that to text or something.
> >
> > However, you're right about the other thing... Confusing people about
> > which version a fix should/would go in would be very bad indeed.  If we
> > get inconsistent release information in JIRA, it will become impossible
> > to ever figure out if/when a user reported bug is getting fixed.  We
> > should prefer confusing people with 50-something different versions
> > then, because at least that gives us the specific information we need
> > for helping them out.
> >
> > Setting up a different project for every component right now would not
> > be that much more work -- the only overhead would be in creating the
> > projects themselves, we still need to create the same amount of versions
> > and move all the issues around anyway.  I'm a bit worried that this will
> > scatter information around too much though and that it will become too
> > difficult to get an overview of what we're doing.  Also, nobody is going
> > to notice that ActiveMQ and Camel are also around in this JIRA instance
> > if we will add about 25 projects in there ;)
> >
> > So, unless there are any other thoughts, I'll set up a single project
> > with the required amount of versions to cover all the components over
> > the weekend.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Gert
> >
> > Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> >> I'm not sure how we could go with a single version.  Suppose we create
> >> a version for 2009.01 and 2009.02.  If we release one component with
> >> 2009.01, when a new JIRA is created, you will need to select a version
> >> to fix the bug in, and you will end up choosing between 2 unreleased
> >> versions.  Another problem would be when we want to create the release
> >> notes I guess.  Having a single version would be nice because we would
> >> not have a very long list of versions available, but it may very well
> >> lead to inconsistencies if we are not very carefull to check the real
> >> version when we fix a bug.
> >> Though if we plan to later separate the components, using a single
> >> version will be easier because we would not have to change those when
> [...]

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
---------------------------------
 HomePage
http://www.nanthrax.net
---------------------------------
 Contacts
jbonofre@apache.org
jb@nanthrax.net
---------------------------------
 OpenSource
BuildProcess/AutoDeploy
http://buildprocess.sourceforge.net
Apache ServiceMix
http://servicemix.apache.org
-----------------------------------
PGP : 17D4F086

Re: [DISCUSS] Separate JIRA project(s) for Components

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys !

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>.
L.S.,

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>.
Guillaume,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>.
L.S.,

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
I personally favor a Jira for each component, but I agree that it is not
realistic right now.  I think its OK to start with large project for all
components for now and maybe we can evaluate options later.  I think the
most important part is to document the individual comopnent releases very
well and possibly add release information to the individual component pages
in the wiki.

Chris

--
Chris Custine

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Gert Vanthienen <gert.vanthienen@skynet.be

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gert,

I prefer to one JIRA project for all components and keep the current
versioning rule of component
Best Regards
Freeman

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I think that having one Jira for all components (to begin) is more applicable right now.

Especially, it will be easier for the users to target the JIRA with component in general,
whereas sometime it can be difficult to identify the exact component involved.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré (Nanthrax)