Posted to ivy-dev@incubator.apache.org by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/19 08:55:23 UTC

Web site discussion (was Re: Steps toward graduation)

On 6/19/07, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I like how the menu expands (the sublevel appears progressively).

Yes, this is one of the nice effects with jquery.

I didn't test the doc generation (I don't have a jdk 1.6 on my machine :-().

I haven't tested either, I will do. Shouldn't be difficult to fix in case of
a bug.

I notice a problem when I click on "tutorial" (the page, not the arrow), the
> menu is not expandable anymore.

Good catch, the bug is indeed in all pages which are not at the root of the
doc directory. Will investigate and fix that asap.

By the way:
> - Do we still need to generate the doc? (I guess yes, for google.  But
> there
> is maybe other solutions)

 Which solution are you thinking about? Being badly indexed by google is a
huge drawback, so I think it's worth the pain of generating the site. When I
talk about a pain, it's very slight, since with a good target in our ant
file it's easy and straightforward (as soon as you have ant 1.7 + java 6 OR
rhino in your ant lib - I haven't tested this last option but we should be
able to make it work).

- Do you really want to publish the new site.  I'm not sure, but it can
> contain doc of things that will only be released in 2.0-alpha-2.

This is something that can be discussed indeed. IMO I'd like to have the
history of old documentations (at least two last releases) and the current
in development one on the site. With the file based approach we have it's
not too difficult, but for the moment we only have the latest one. The main
thing to do to get several labelled versions available on site is to
separate the documentation from the site itself: we don't need to put an
history of the whole site was at one release, but only the documentation and
tutorials sections). I should be able to do some javascript to be able to
extract a part of a xooki site automatically if you think it's worth it. For
the last release (1.4.1), I think it would be useful to provide the doc
online too, but I'm not sure we'll manage to separate the site from the doc.

WDYT?

Xavier

Gilles

Re: Web site discussion (was Re: Steps toward graduation)

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 6/19/07, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I notice a problem when I click on "tutorial" (the page, not the arrow),
> > the
> > menu is not expandable anymore.
>

> Good catch, the bug is indeed in all pages which are not at the root of
> the doc directory. Will investigate and fix that asap.

Fixed.

Xavier

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 6/26/07, Tjeerd Verhagen <tj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My preverence would be to store all version depended docs in to to code
> base
> (manuals, tutorials, articles etc). Where as general docs which never need
> to be updated for a release, could go else where (Links to Wiki, Issue
> tracking, contribution and so on).

I agree, this is what I propose.

Xavier

Tjeerd

Posted by Tjeerd Verhagen <tj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 6/27/07, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/6/27, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>:
> > +Download
> >   + Choose distribution
> >   (no more other items here)
> > +Documentation (2.1-beta-1)
> >   + Release Notes (with links to download distributions)
> >   + Introduction
> >   + Settings
> >   + ...
> > +Documentation (2.0)
> >   + Release Notes
> >   + Introduction
> >   + Settings
> >   + ...
> > + History
> >  + trunk
> >   + Release Notes
> >    + Introduction
> >   + Settings
> >   + ...
> >  + 2.0 alpha 1
> >   + Release Notes
> >    + Introduction
> >   + Settings
> >   + ...
> >  + ...
> >

> I known that make a lot of of + but I will still add :
>
> +1  ;-)

lol.  So I'll try to see how I can do that with xooki (splitting a menu
inseveral json files) and if nobody complains about this layout and
separation between doc and site, I'll go ahead and implement it.

> I think tutorials should be part of the documentation, and thus we should
> > provide the history online. For people "installing" Ivy as suggested in
> the
> > "go ivy" tutorial, they don't even download the release with the
> > documentation. So I think that providing tutorials history online is
> > helpful, because we can't know when people will move to a new version
> (when
> > we release a beta for instance). And if tutorials are part of the
> > documentation, it's no extra work.
> >

> I agree that the tutorial must be kept for the 'top level doc' (latest
> stable release an potential beta release).  But for the other, I don't
> care.  It is not a problem if they are there, but they could be also
> not be there.

Agreed. And I think it will be easier to have them everywhere (at least for
upcoming releases) since it will be the same way to do as for top level
docs.

Xavier

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 6/27/07, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actaully what I had in mind was :
> +Download
> +Documentation
>    + Introduction
>    + Settings
>    + ...
> + Other Version Doc (a shorter name might be better)
> + trunk (I didn't think to that one, but it is an excellent idea !)
>    + Introduction
>    + Settings
>    + ...
> + 2.0 alpha 1
>    + Introduction
>    + Settings
>    + ...
> + 1.4.1
>    + Introduction
>    + ...
> + 1.4
>     + Introduction
>     + ...

Indeed, it makes sense. I don't know which version would be better to put as
the default (the one directly in documentation). The latest release would
probably be the best option. We might also in some cases provide direct
access to two versions. Another idea, put release notes and links to
download in documentation, and merge the download version history and
documentation. Something like:
[...]

What was confusing was that I didn't realize that it was a naturaly
> looking at the first menu that I used to know where I was, and
> regularily missed the second tree menu.

Indeed, having only one menu solves this problem.

Concerning the remove of the since, I like the [since 1.4] processed by

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.