Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/30 18:32:49 UTC

Questions for projects

Hi,

The deadline for podlings to submit their February reports is already
in two days since the ASF board meeting is scheduled for Feb 15th.

I spent a few moments reviewing the November reports and related
information of all the projects scheduled to report in February
(excluding new projects on monthly schedule). Here are a few questions
or comments for each project. Hopefully they're helpful in focusing
the February reports on key issues.

> Airavata

Only point 3 in your last report is a real graduation issue. How
diverse is your community now?

What happened with the release candidate mentioned in the last report?

> Ambari

How has CTR worked for you?

I'm seeing a significant drop in list activity since December. What's up?

> Amber

Any progress on the graduation issues mentioned in the last report?

What's the status with the mentioned "copyright signoff from
University of Newcastle"?

> Clerezza

Have you made a release yet? If not, what's the blocker?

Any other issues before graduation?

> DeltaSpike

How is the Git repository working for you?

> Droids

Any progress on getting more people to contribute?

I'm seeing a significant drop in list activity since December. What's up?

> HISE

Result of the retirement vote.

> Jena

When can I vote on your graduation?

> Lucene.NET

When can I vote on your graduation?

> NPanday

When can I vote on your graduation?

> Nuvem

I don't see too much activity in the last five months. What's up?

> OpenNLP

Congratulations on graduation!

> PhotArk

I notice the discussions about a new direction. What's next?

> SIS

Do you have a plan for reviving the project?

> Stanbol

Still no release?

Any other issues before graduation? Points 1b and 1c in your last
report are not blockers for graduation.

> VCL

What's the status with the issue of university approval of the CLAs?

How diverse is your currently active committer-base?

> Wink

Looks like you're discussing ideas to increase commit activity. Any
concrete actions you're taking on this?

> Wookie

What's blocking you from graduating?

How diverse is your currently active committer-base?

> Zeta Components

How diverse is your currently active committer-base?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2012, at 9:32 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>>> VCL
>>
>> What's the status with the issue of university approval of the CLAs?
>
> Brain freeze on my part.  What issue are you speaking of?

>From the November report
(http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/November2011): "The main barrier
encountered is obtaining university legal department approval of
individual and corporate contributor license agreements."

>> How diverse is your currently active committer-base?
>
> It's improving.  A new committer was added a few weeks ago.  I have
> reservations about the viability of the project without NCSU support. The
> PPMC is aware of the issue, is working on increasing the ranks, and
> reviews progress on a regular basis.

Sounds great, thanks!

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Jan 30, 2012, at 9:32 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

>> VCL
>
> What's the status with the issue of university approval of the CLAs?

Brain freeze on my part.  What issue are you speaking of?

> How diverse is your currently active committer-base?

It's improving.  A new committer was added a few weeks ago.  I have reservations about the viability of the project without NCSU support.  The PPMC is aware of the issue, is working on increasing the ranks, and reviews progress on a regular basis.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
> Did I miss the reminder? Or is it not working?

I suppose the reminder will go out tomorrow on the first day of the
month. I guess that's not too helpful given that the deadline is also
tomorrow.

>>> Droids
>>
>> Any progress on getting more people to contribute?
>>
>> I'm seeing a significant drop in list activity since December. What's up?
>
> No progress at the moment. We need to evaluate those that have contributed
> patches to bring in new blood.

OK, cool.

> I don't know the cause for drop in last activity. I think it just needs a
> reboot after the holidays.

Yep, could be just a blib. That happens to many projects every now and
then, especially after holidays.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Christian Grobmeier
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> what you currently do in the incubator is just an amazing job. I would
> have nominated you for serving as an incubator chair, but it seems
> another project has already got you. As I can not nominate you, I need
> to say that your work here is great. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, I'm already chairing the Jackrabbit PMC and not interested in
taking on extra duties at the moment. And besides, one doesn't need to
be a PMC chair to invest some time in podling review and followup. :-)

BR,

Jukka Zitting

RE: Questions for projects

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > I need to say that your [Jukka] work here is great. Thanks.

+1

> one doesn't need to be a PMC chair to invest some time in podling review and followup. :-)

:-)

	--- Noel

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Jukka,

what you currently do in the incubator is just an amazing job. I would
have nominated you for serving as an incubator chair, but it seems
another project has already got you. As I can not nominate you, I need
to say that your work here is great. Thanks.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 30/01/12 17:32, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> Jena
> When can I vote on your graduation?

Jena's report is already signed off on the wiki: [*]

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/February2012

"The project is discussing graduation.

Plan:
* Graduation preparation
   (checking, drafting the scope/charter, resolution, chair, more checking)
* There are no technical or infrastructure items blocking graduation.

"""

	Andy

[*] hey - we're early for once - long may it last!

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
On Mar 13, 2012, at 12:29 PM, Simone Tripodi wrote:

> Salut,
>
> what is not clear to me how to think about possible solutions if we
> still haven't understood the entity of the problem.

I do agree with you. Problem here is that we have been stuck for a long while now on this issue and we really need to do something in order to move forward.

Regards

Antonio

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Salut,

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
Hi Simone,

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi +,

Re: Moving forward (proposal) [was: Questions for projects]

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Wow, thank you very much Antonio for this huge effort!
I'll read and try to re-understand what happened.
Have a nice day,
Tommaso

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

apologies something got messed up with previous email response template (making the mail hard to read). I try again :)

Hi Raymond

On Mar 16, 2012, at 4:38 PM, Raymond Feng wrote:

> Hi, Antonio.
>
> Thank you for putting together a nice timeline :-).
>
> So basically, we are stuck at the IP clearance: http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/amber-leeloo.html, right?

IIUC correctly yes.

> Thanks,
> Raymond
>
> On Mar 15, 2012, at 7:20 AM, Antonio Sanso wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> to better understand the Leeloo/Newcastle University IP issue I have been dug further  the mailing list.
>> I have thought to share with you my little "chronological report" we can use in order to prepare something consistent to ask to legal@ (btw did anybody tried to do that for this issue already?):

if there is not anything in progress with legal@ I might volunteer to start this thread. Or is there anybody with more legal/process knowledge that wants to do it?

Regards

Antonio

Posted by Raymond Feng <cy...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Antonio.

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
Hi Simone

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
Hi Simone,

On Mar 13, 2012, at 11:00 AM, Simone Tripodi wrote:

> Salut a tout le monde,
>
> didn't we accept external contributions to that part, once Leelo
> codebase was accepted?
> IIRC issues were filled and patches applied on oauth2, please correct
> me if I am wrong!
>
> As a side note: Leelo's guys submitted Leelo after submitting a
> SoftwareGrant, so please explain me why we should risk to lost the
> oauth2 contribution because I feel lost :(

as said IANAL and I am a bit lost as well :S.
I am just a bit concern since this IP clearance issue comes out every time we  try to talk about next release plan or graduation plan.
So mine is just an attempt to better understand the situation and try to move bit forward :)
Should I have said something incorrect legally/process wise I do apologize :)

Regards

Antonio

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Salut a tout le monde,

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
Hi Raymond

Posted by Raymond Feng <cy...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Antonio.

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
Hi *,

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
Hi *,

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
2012/3/6 Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>

> Hi Maciej,
>
> thanks a lot for the update.
> As noticed as well from you this IP clearance issue seems to be a pretty
> "big deal" for the project.
> IANAL but I think it would block our first release if we can not solve it.
> And consequently this would block our potential graduation plan.
> For this reason it would be nice to have a clear picture of the current
> situation  and also from the past.
> Just to be clear my intention is only to understand and trying to move
> forward. If any of my questions would look inquisitive or "rude" I do
> apologize in advance.
> As long as I understood Leeloo was a project started under the umbrella of
> the Newcastle University.
> At a certain point you guys decided to donate to the ASF.
> Did the Newcastle University agreed at that point? If yes, does still
> agree now? If yes, :) what is the real blocker/issue? Is it more a formal
> issue?
> Is there any way we (project members/mentors) can help speed the process?
>
> Thanks a lot for your effort on it and regards

Thanks to you Antonio as I do have the same the concerns about this topic.
Looking forward to have a clearer view.
Tommaso

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
Hi Maciej,

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Maciej Machulak <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
Hi Maciej,

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Maciej Machulak <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

--

[key:62590808]

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

--

[key:62590808]

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pid,

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Pid * <pi...@pidster.com>.

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
Hi *

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Daniel Spicar <ds...@apache.org>.
Hi Luciano,

The February page is here: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/February2012

Best,
Daniel

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 31 Jan 2012, at 18:17, Luciano Resende wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The deadline for podlings to submit their February reports is already
>> in two days since the ASF board meeting is scheduled for Feb 15th.
>>

> Sure, but there isn't even a February page at the wiki :
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/
>
> Should one just copy from Feb 2011 ? Or is there some template that I missed ?

Its there, it just hasn't got a link from the front page:

Re: Questions for projects

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.