Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by clayton cottingham <dr...@telus.net> on 2002/03/05 20:36:38 UTC

here is a good modperl question on perlmonk

thought someone might like to have a gander at this:
http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=146303
look forward to seeing your replies!!

Re: here is a good modperl question on perlmonk

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
Medi Montaseri wrote:
> Caller can also buy some content management software like Interwoven's
> TeamSite
> product that provides a virtual workarea, for about $300,000.

It's so easy and effective to run mod_perl on developers' personal
machines, I think there's no excuse not to do it.

At eToys we also set up a special server for HTML template coders to
work on.  It had a virtual host for each coder, and each of them used
their own docroot which they synched with a shared CVS repository using
WinCVS.  They accessed files over a Samba share, so it was seamless for
them.

This was pretty effective, and provided almost exactly the same thing
that Interwoven sells.  Interwoven does add some workflow tools, but
most people I've talked to don't seem to use them.  Maybe if they did
get used that would provide more value.

- Perrin

Re: here is a good modperl question on perlmonk

Posted by Jim Smith <jg...@moya.tamu.edu>.
On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 02:54:47PM -0800, Paul Lindner wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 04:53:56PM -0600, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Medi Montaseri wrote:
> >
> > > My suggestion would be to install a Linux on your developer's PC and
> > > keep with the distributed model. Now everyone can use a common web tree
> > > and at integeration, bring all of them to a staging box, QC it and ship
> > > it to production.
> >
> > Giving everyone their own Apache daemon, which uses their checked out tree
> > of code, on a central dev server is really not a problem either.
>
> One other tip... write a small script (or modify apachectl) to start
> apache with a port number matched to your unix UID.  This keeps
> developers from using clashing port numbers.
>
>   httpd -c "Port $UID" -c "Listen $UID"
>
> etc..

(returning from spring break...)

Just keep in mind that this won't work (afaik) on systems that need
more than 16 bits for the uids.  (Here at TAMU we are going that
direction -- unified UIDs across all our unix boxes -- 80,000 people
> 16 bits -- developers are part of those 80,000.)

What I did was very similar except I created a `testserver' script
that checks out the CVS tree, sets up the configs, and starts the
server.  After starting it, it lets the person know which port they
can use -- I hard code that into the script for now (small group of
developers -- < 10).

The UID thing can also run into problems if the UID is below 1024
(several of ours are).

But for small groups of users with all uids between 1024 and 65535,
using the uid as the port can work most of the time (6000 won't work
if X Windows is being used, for example).

--jim

Re: here is a good modperl question on perlmonk

Posted by Andrew Ho <an...@tellme.com>.
Hello,

PL>One other tip... write a small script (or modify apachectl) to start
PL>apache with a port number matched to your unix UID.  This keeps
PL>developers from using clashing port numbers.
PL>
PL>  httpd -c "Port $UID" -c "Listen $UID"

At Tellme we find it easiest to run multiple Apaches, one per developer.
We share the same base Perl and Perl modules; we develop modules with
Makefile.PL's and use "use blib" in our included personal httpd.pl's to
get to our own versions of library code.

We run our Apaches on a shared box, because our production infrastructure
is pretty different from a userland Linux box. We just run on multiple
ports, by default we use our telephone extensions for the port number--so
we don't have any conflicts between users. If there are problems with
load, lower MinServers/MaxServers/StartServers/MaxClients.

The individual configs and logs go into our home directories, the only
caveat for our setup is that our homedirs are mounted over NFS so we have
to explicitly specify a Lockfile on local disk.

We usually go one up on Paul's suggestion and just put a personal copy of
apachectl into our personal bin directories (perhaps renamed "myapache")
and just change some paths and add a -f when running Apache to make it
find the right config file.

We find that this works great for development, and lets us still depend on
the same Perl/Apache builds we use on production.

Humbly,

Andrew

Andrew Ho               http://www.tellme.com/       andrew@tellme.com
Engineer                   info@tellme.com          Voice 650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.       1-800-555-TELL            Fax 650-930-9101

Re: here is a good modperl question on perlmonk

Posted by Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>.

--
Paul Lindner    lindner@inuus.com   ||||| | | | |  |  |  |   |   |

    mod_perl Developer's Cookbook   http://www.modperlcookbook.org/
         Human Rights Declaration   http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/index.htm

Re: here is a good modperl question on perlmonk

Posted by Clayton Cottingham aka Dr Frog <dr...@telus.net>.
wow crazy!!

just got my email and saw this thread!

did anyone post on their site?

again that node:

Posted by Wim Kerkhoff <wi...@merilus.com>.

Mark Fowler wrote:

> [...]

>  c) VMWare the other way round - run it on Windows and have emulated
>     linux boxen.  The advantage of this is that you'll be able to quickly
>     switch between a range of development environments, roll back changes
>     etc. etc.  I've never personally tried this solution...

I've done this in the past, and we have developers that use this method
as well.

>  d) WINE on Linux.  I've not had much success with this, but if it's a
>     particular application you might have success.

Doesn't work all so super hot for iexplore, winword, excel, and so
forth. It works fine for quicktime, windows media player, starcraft,
winamp, winzip, notepad, minesweeper, and a lot of other things; see
winehq.com for an application database.

I have some (trippy) screenshots of VNC, VMWare, VNC+VMWare, and Wine in

Wim Kerkhoff, Software Engineer
Merilus, Inc.  -|- http://www.merilus.com
Email: wim@merilus.com

Re: here is a good modperl question on perlmonk

Posted by Mark Fowler <ma...@twoshortplanks.com>.
On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Medi Montaseri wrote:

> Stuart Frew wrote:
>
> > Ideally you would have linux( or what ever) on every developers
> > machine but sometimes you don't get the choice.
>
> Oh "the choice" is easy....just come in on a weekend and install
> linux on your box. Don't tell IT. That's all.

I think the "don't get a choice" is more to do with that you require
access to some application that requires MS windows to run.  This is
typically Exchange, Word, and most importantly iexplore for testing
the website you are developing.  There are solutions to this:

 a) Terminal Server.  Get one Windows box running terminal server (the
    server version of w2k ships with it by default iirc) and install
    rdesktop[1] on your desktop Linux machines.  This means you
    can all remotely open up a window to a Windows desktop on your linux
    box.

    It's reasonably fast but you will be limited to 256 colours and
    animations will be slow.

 b) VMWare (and similar) that allows you to run an emulated Windows
    computer on your real computer.

    I tried the trial version of this but I found it was taking up too
    much resources on my desktop.  OTOH, I never had any problem with it
    and it worked flawlessly, and my desktop machine is quite slow by
    modern standards.

 c) VMWare the other way round - run it on Windows and have emulated
    linux boxen.  The advantage of this is that you'll be able to quickly
    switch between a range of development environments, roll back changes
    etc. etc.  I've never personally tried this solution...

 d) WINE on Linux.  I've not had much success with this, but if it's a
    particular application you might have success.

[a] requires purchase of one w2k server licence and one computer
(though you might have one that has some spare processing time) and will
free up the Windows licences for the desktop machine. [b] and [c] require
one VMWare per machine.  IIRC that's quite expensive.  [d] is the cheapest
option, and you might even be able to dump your existing windows licence.

Regards.

Mark.

[1] http://www.rdesktop.org/

--
s''  Mark Fowler                                     London.pm   Bath.pm
     http://www.twoshortplanks.com/              mark@twoshortplanks.com

Re: here is a good modperl question on perlmonk

Posted by Medi Montaseri <me...@cybershell.com>.
Stuart Frew wrote:

> [...]

>           Set up a sub-domain for each developer, ie
>           jim.my-company.co.nz.
>           Then they can configure there local setup to there
>           hearts content, seperate CVS/document tree, also
>           get separate logs.
>
>           Cheers
>
>           On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 12:02, Gunther Birznieks
>           wrote:
>
>                Philippe Chiasson had a really nice talk on setting up developer teams on
>                mod_perl at ApacheCon 2001. Covers everything from CVS to deployment. You
>                may want to see if you can get the slides from him (gozer@cpan.org) if you
>                are interested in the details.
>
>                Later,
>                   Gunther
>
>                At 07:43 AM 3/6/2002, Medi Montaseri wrote:
>                >Caller wirtes....
>                >
>                > > we've just migrated our 80K line pure perl web application to
>                > mod_perl...ah...
>                > > so much aster... can anyone advise on their experiences for setting up
>                > > apache/mod_perl for team development? up till now, we've all been running
>                > > our own copy of sources out of our home directories, and running a
>                > separate
>                > > apache instance for each developer seems like overkill
>                >
>                >Source Control or Revision Control will always be there, no matter if you
>                >work
>                >out of one box or many boxes. Further I don't see anything different about
>                >mod_perl
>                >vs C++. There are all source codes.
>                >
>                >My suggestion would be to install a Linux on your developer's PC and keep
>                >with the distributed model. Now everyone can use a common web tree and
>                >at integeration, bring all of them to a staging box, QC it and ship it to
>                >production.
>                >
>                >Caller can also buy some content management software like Interwoven's
>                >TeamSite
>                >product that provides a virtual workarea, for about $300,000.  Its always
>                >Make or Buy.
>                >Isn't it.
>                >
>                >clayton cottingham wrote:
>                >>thought someone might like to have a gander at this:
>                >><http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=146303>http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=146303
>                >>look forward to seeing your replies!!
>                >
>                >--
>                >-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                >Medi Montaseri                               medi@CyberShell.com
>                >Unix Distributed Systems
>                >Engineer            <HTTP://www.CyberShell.com>HTTP://www.CyberShell.com
>                >CyberShell Engineering
>                >-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                __________________________________________________
>                Gunther Birznieks (gunther.birznieks@eXtropia.com)
>                eXtropia - The Open Web Technology Company

  Stuart Frew
  IT Manager
  The New Zealand Revolution
  stuart@nzr.co.nz
  DDI +64-9-918 7664
  FAX+64-9-307 7032
  http://www.nzr.co.nz

Posted by Stuart Frew <st...@nzr.co.nz>.
Greeting,

Yup, I agree but I meant virtual hosts on the development box, not
production.

Ideally you would have linux( or what ever) on every developers machine
but sometimes you don't get the choice.

Cheers

On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 13:40, Medi Montaseri wrote:

    I  don't agree with virtual hosts setup for mod_perl folks. What if
    someone mess up the configuration file. If you want a central person
    to change them, then you are limitting the developer.

    The Linux-on-developers-box proposition also goes to include a

Posted by Medi Montaseri <me...@cybershell.com>.

Posted by Stuart Frew <st...@nzr.co.nz>.
Greetings,

Posted by Valerio_Valdez Paolini <pa...@students.cs.unibo.it>.
On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Gunther Birznieks wrote:

> Philippe Chiasson had a really nice talk on setting up developer teams on
> mod_perl at ApacheCon 2001. Covers everything from CVS to deployment. You
> may want to see if you can get the slides from him (gozer@cpan.org) if you
> are interested in the details.

http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/Conferences/ApacheCon2001US/DevEnv/handouts/rel_html/

Bye, Valerio

Re: here is a good modperl question on perlmonk

Posted by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com>.

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.
On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Medi Montaseri wrote:

> True...but I'm thinking full control to the developer. Developer can now
> mis-configure httpd.conf as much as he/she wants and all the paths;
> virtual or not are consistant, instead of a dev path vs production path....

Right, every developer can run their own Apache daemon, each on a
different port, mess with httpd.conf, etc.  Whether or not those Apache
daemons run on individual workstations or a central dev box is not a big
issue.

-dave

/*==================
www.urth.org
we await the New Sun

RE: here is a good modperl question on perlmonk

Posted by "Stathy G. Touloumis" <st...@edventions.com>.
Unfortunately, this may also allow the developer to potentially change
code/configuration that you do not want changed.

Posted by Medi Montaseri <me...@cybershell.com>.

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.

Posted by Medi Montaseri <me...@cybershell.com>.
Caller wirtes....