Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org> on 2005/02/24 22:46:10 UTC

Javadoc not available due to non-public classes?

 You know ... the javadoc on the site doesn't include non-public classes
like TermInfosWriter.  Confused me for a second.

Also.. the site doesn't have JXR output for Lucene.  Would be nice to
have.  Maven essentially gives you this for free...

Kevin

get a free iPod!

Re: Javadoc not available due to non-public classes?

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> I'm personally not a fan of all those reports.

I wrote it (at least the first impl under Alexandria) ;) Ha... I guess
I'm biases ;)

> They are nice and all, but rarely add much. If folks need to x-ref the
> code then why not do it with the actual source code locally (and
> within an IDE its easy).

I can dive in and figure out the source without doing a CVS checkout. I
can also use permalinks to methods and line numbers which is HUGE

>> Maven essentially gives you this for free...
>

> Maven schmaven :) All I wanted was a (Lucene) JAR and I got a website.
> The bulk of what Maven produces is fluff.

No way... .jar task from one line of XML! The problem with Ant is that
its an XML code generator ;)

> Granted I'm quite biased though, so others are welcome to override me
> on this. I don't think Maven would do a good job in terms of our
> contrib area build integration, which is what I'm (slowly but surely)
> working on.

Maybe... you'd no better than I would.

The cool thing is that you could use Maven and ant concurrently. We do
in FeedParser...

> If you'd like to contribute a patch to add JXR to the Ant build, I'd
> be happy to evaluate it and add it. If we move to Maven, others will
> have to step up to refactor the build process - its not my cup of tea.

I'm not trying to push maven. I was just noting that you'd get JXR
output pretty quickly.

Anyway... not a big deal.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 24, 2005, at 4:46 PM, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> You know ... the javadoc on the site doesn't include non-public
> classes like TermInfosWriter.

That is intentional.

> Also.. the site doesn't have JXR output for Lucene.  Would be nice to
> have.

I'm personally not a fan of all those reports.  They are nice and all,
but rarely add much.  If folks need to x-ref the code then why not do
it with the actual source code locally (and within an IDE its easy).

>   Maven essentially gives you this for free...

Maven schmaven :)  All I wanted was a (Lucene) JAR and I got a website.
  The bulk of what Maven produces is fluff.  Granted I'm quite biased
though, so others are welcome to override me on this.  I don't think
Maven would do a good job in terms of our contrib area build
integration, which is what I'm (slowly but surely) working on.

If you'd like to contribute a patch to add JXR to the Ant build, I'd be
happy to evaluate it and add it.  If we move to Maven, others will have
to step up to refactor the build process - its not my  cup of tea.

	Erik

Re: Javadoc not available due to non-public classes?

Posted by Paul Elschot <pa...@xs4all.nl>.
On Thursday 24 February 2005 23:55, Doug Cutting wrote:
> Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> > You know ... the javadoc on the site doesn't include non-public classes
> > like TermInfosWriter.  Confused me for a second.
>
> That's because it's not public.  The javadoc on the site is to document
> the public api.  This is not a bug, but a feature.

There is also a javadocs-internal target in in the build.xml file.
It has an  access="package" attribute. (I prefer use "private")

Regards,
Paul Elschot

Re: Javadoc not available due to non-public classes?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> You know ... the javadoc on the site doesn't include non-public classes
> like TermInfosWriter.  Confused me for a second.

That's because it's not public.  The javadoc on the site is to document
the public api.  This is not a bug, but a feature.

> Also.. the site doesn't have JXR output for Lucene.  Would be nice to
> have.  Maven essentially gives you this for free...

If you would like to provide a patch to upgrade Lucene to use Maven,
educate Lucene developers about Maven, and help to run it,  that would
be great!

Doug