Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> on 2017/11/08 09:35:12 UTC

What is a "gitbox" repository? Information for Fineract committers.

Hey all,

You may have read me talking about adding the Fineract-CN repositories
as "gitbox" repositories.  Unless you've been following other lists at
Apache, you probably don't know what a gitbox repository is.

Currently, we have a mirrored GitHub repository for Apache Fineract.
The downside of this is that all pull requests have to be performed
against the Apache-hosted GitHub repository on the command-line.  This
makes merging your first pull request confusing and difficult for new
committers, as Avik has correctly pointed out.

Apache has been experimenting with a different model called "gitbox"
repositories.  This experiment is still in its early phases, but I've
requested that we be a part of it.  What it means is that we host our
read/write repositories directly on GitHub rather than mirroring them.

The downside of this is that It does require extra security measures
from those who wish to use it.  If you haven't already, you will need
to activate 2FA for the GitHub account you use with these Apache
projects, and then link your Apache and GitHub accounts.  See these
links for more information:

https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/
https://github.com/settings/two_factor_authentication/configure

This will take you about 15 minutes and will ensure that you are able
to contribute to Fineract CN.

Best Regards,
Myrle
Committer, Apache Fineract

Re: What is a "gitbox" repository? Information for Fineract committers.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Avik,

I made some assumptions, and missed the fact that you were asking
about closing PRs *without merging* until you sent your e-mail
yesterday when I was also thinking about closing PRs without merging.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

As it turns out there may be a hack for doing this described in the
comments of this JIRA ticket:

I'll try it out when I reach the point of killing my first PR likely
sometime next week.  If you try it out beforehand and it works, let us
know.  Otherwise, we'll just have to make tickets for INFRA to close
those.  They are rather unlikely to give us the necessary karma to do
so directly via github, because, if I understand correctly, they can't
give it to us for just the one project.  They'd have to give it to us
for all the Apache projects.

Or we wait till we're ready to ask for a move of Fineract to gitbox.
It shouldn't be *too* much longer...

Regards,
Myrle
Committer, Apache Fineract