Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/09/08 17:00:09 UTC

Task Management Software

Hiya,

I was wondering if there is any opensource software out where for Task
management that we could use at jakarta. Basically something that allows us
to create tasks, assign people to them and estimate times for completion.
Milestones/Releases/drops could be made up of sets of tasks after they are
completed. Currently I am using Bugzilla to manage this which is not the
best.

So anyone got any suggestions?

I am happy to do the legwork setting it up and maintaining it if anyone feels
it would be useful and there is a good choice out there. The alternative is
that we could wait for scarab to get bugzilla import capabilities and use
that?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Task Management Software

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <an...@superlinksoftware.com>.
Please lets not do this.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> on 2002/9/9 12:05 PM, "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>It just ain't our dogfood...
>
> Actually it is.
>
> Given that:
>
> I worked on Jserv and then Tomcat to create a good container to support what
> became Scarab.
>
> Turbine-* was created to support what became Scarab.
>
> Two of the main developers of Scarab are ASF Members and contributors to at
> least 10 or more projects under Jakarta.

Krysalis Centipede drives Jakarta *and* xml.apache projects.
It sent patches to Ant and is helping drive the evolution with
investments in the embed proposal, it's helping revive Alexandria with
also the target of making Gump used in day to day work, it builds
Jakarta POI, Forrest, in part Cocoon, and it helps to support via
Krysalis the Apache-style license and guidelines.

It's primary developers are ASF committers who support its use by
Jakarta *and* xml.apache.

> It really hurts for you to come along and say that Scarab is not Jakarta dog
> food given all the work I have put into this place over the last 5+ years.

You hurt me Jon when you said to not use Centipede on a /dog-food/
argument basis.

I guess it all comes back...

Have a nice day.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Task Management Software

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> For the record, I'm with Jon on this.

+1

- Sam Ruby

Re: Task Management Software

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <an...@superlinksoftware.com>.
For the record, I'm with Jon on this.  But I think I know why Nicola Ken
is saying this.  The same arguments were used against centipede.  I
think its time for all the antipathy to start to heal among all of the
various subgroups.  We can all work together and make great software.
 Even if we disgree sometimes.  Lets all try and make it to Vegas and
consume microbrews together.  (If thats not your think I'm sure there
will be other refreshments, but you just ain' right ;-) )

Personally, I plan to use Scarab and if the folks who contribute to
scarab I would be very proud to support its union inside some othogonal
structure of Apache.  I think these kinds of tools are really what
software development needs.  I look forward to the bugzilla import tool
to convert POI over to scarab as fast as possible.  I was quite eager to
do this before but I others seemed gangbuster to do it themselves and I
desired to avoid stepping on their toes.

Bugzilla really sucks.  Scarab looks neato, and I'm eager to learn more
about it through use.

-Andy

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Kurt Schrader wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
> > It just ain't our dogfood...
>
> You've _got_ to be kidding me.

Scarab is very much a Jakarta project.  It may not reside here, but when
you examine the total code which Scarab consists of (including
dependencies), you'll see that well over 80% of the code is from
*.apache.org.  It uses more Jakarta code than many projects which do live
on jakarta.apache.org.
--

Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>

Re: Task Management Software

Posted by Kurt Schrader <ks...@karmalab.org>.
On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> It just ain't our dogfood...

You've _got_ to be kidding me.

-Kurt

Re: Task Management Software

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> "Peter Donald" <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Hiya,
>>
>>I was wondering if there is any opensource software out where for Task
>>management that we could use at jakarta. Basically something that allows us
>>to create tasks, assign people to them and estimate times for completion.
>>Milestones/Releases/drops could be made up of sets of tasks after they are
>>completed. Currently I am using Bugzilla to manage this which is not the
>>best.
>>
>>So anyone got any suggestions?
>>
>>I am happy to do the legwork setting it up and maintaining it if anyone feels
>>it would be useful and there is a good choice out there. The alternative is
>>that we could wait for scarab to get bugzilla import capabilities and use
>>that?
>

> Scarab... (eat'cha 'r own dog-food)

It just ain't our dogfood...

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Peter Donald" <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I was wondering if there is any opensource software out where for Task
> management that we could use at jakarta. Basically something that allows us
> to create tasks, assign people to them and estimate times for completion.
> Milestones/Releases/drops could be made up of sets of tasks after they are
> completed. Currently I am using Bugzilla to manage this which is not the
> best.
>
> So anyone got any suggestions?
>
> I am happy to do the legwork setting it up and maintaining it if anyone feels
> it would be useful and there is a good choice out there. The alternative is
> that we could wait for scarab to get bugzilla import capabilities and use
> that?

Scarab... (eat'cha 'r own dog-food)

    Pier

RE: Task Management Software

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
We just hunted all over for something like this, the best we could find was
http://www.tutos.org/
Which we haven't formed a strong opinion of (either way) yet.
I suspect Scarab will turn out to be the answer.
d.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

>We have been using JIRA for a while for Maven (http://jira.werken.com/)
>and it is very good and seems perfect for what you describe. It is free
>for open source projects but it *isn't* open source itself.

We're using JIRA at work.  It is very cool. Very easy to customise for
Java developers.

- Paul

RE: Task Management Software

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
Hi Peter,

We have been using JIRA for a while for Maven (http://jira.werken.com/)
and it is very good and seems perfect for what you describe. It is free
for open source projects but it *isn't* open source itself.

-Vincent

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>