Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steve Lane <sl...@moyergroup.com> on 2004/01/22 00:14:35 UTC

[users@httpd] Long request timeouts

All:

We're investigating issues with timeouts on some long PHP-generated reports
we create using PHP 4.1.2 on Apache 1.3.28. Our PHP and Apache timeout
values all seem high enough, about a half hour, and timeouts don't take 30
minutes to occur.

One thing we did find in one case was that disabling a firewall device
caused the timeouts to disappear.

Question: is it possible for intermediate TCP forwarding/filtering devices,
such as routers, firewalls, or proxy servers, to create behaviors wherein an
HTTP request would time out, where it otherwise would not have? In other
words, is it possible for devices other than the client and the server to
have a role in whether a timeout occurs?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Lane

Vice President