Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Nikolay Izhikov <ni...@apache.org> on 2018/08/22 09:06:06 UTC

Ignite CPP client local development

Hello, Igniters.

While working on IGNITE-6055 [1] I need to do some fixes in ODBC.
I find out that setup of local CPP development environment is a very hard task:

1. Linux -
	- We use a very old version of boost library.
	  Modern Linux distribution uses the new one.
	  There are no clear instructions about how download and setup boost for an Ignite CPP client.
	  There are no clear instructions about boost version.

	- Many of the required steps(environment variables, etc.) are not described in DEVNOTES at all.
	  I have to crawl through the Team City configuration to find it out.
	  I need following environment variables to run tests:
		BOOST_TEST_CATCH_SYSTEM_ERRORS=no
		IGNITE_NATIVE_TEST_CLASSPATH=true
		IGNITE_NATIVE_TEST_CPP_CONFIG_PATH=/home/user/src/ignite/modules/platforms/cpp/core-test/config
		IGNITE_NATIVE_TEST_ODBC_CONFIG_PATH=/home/user/src/ignite/modules/platforms/cpp/odbc-test/config
		LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBARY_PATH:$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/amd64/server

2. Windows -
	Microsoft provides a free virtual machine with Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2017 [2], but I can't build a project on it.
	Our documentation [1] claim: "Visual Studio 2010 and above".

Actually, I'm not a C++ developer, so I can miss some steps that are obvious to a C++ developer.
But, I think, we should make instructions for community developers as clear as possible.

Igor, as a maintainer of CPP clients, can you, please, update development documentation
and provide clear steps to setup the project on Linux and Windows?

[2] https://developer.microsoft.com/ru-ru/windows/downloads/virtual-machines

Re: Ignite CPP client local development

Posted by Nikolay Izhikov <ni...@apache.org>.
Hello, Igor.

Thanks, for an answer.

I think we should start with a simple step by step how-to: "How to build current sources?".
Actually, I don't know how I can help you with this task?
Seems, only you have the knowledge of this process.

At this step, no source changes required.

I propose to you to do following:

	1. Download Microsoft virtual machine from previous mail and wrote your steps for project compilation.
	OR
	2. Download Ubuntu linux and to same steps for a Linux.

It will be enough to start with.

Posted by Igor Sapego <is...@apache.org>.
Nikolay,

Posted by Vyacheslav Daradur <da...@gmail.com>.